How many pounds of Alfalfa Pellets for Leaves

foodeefish(z8SC)January 13, 2014

I have a pile of shredded leaves that is 5 feet high, 5 feet wide and 6 feet deep. I obviously need to add Greens to them and get them wet so the Pile can start heating up.

I have 2 chioices of Greens this time of the Year.

1) Go to Tractor Supply and buy Alfalfa Pellets but I need to know how many pounds to add to this huge mound of leaves. I have used these in the past and they really work good, but a 50# bag cost $16.00

2) I can pull weeds from the bottom of our lake but it will be a bit of work and I believe the Alfalfa Pellets would wok better and faster.

Your Opinions Please.

Thnx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robertz6

My tendency is to do whatever is the cheapest. But sometimes that means a lot of work.

Twelve years ago it was much easier to get older produce from grocery stores. I stuffed my hatchback with dumpster fruit and veggies. Then after several years, grocery stores closed off that method of securing greens, and my only source was one chinese seafood store. I could get ten huge bags of older bok choy, or other stuff in my subcompact.

But cutting all that up was a lot of work.

I also had access to lake weeds, our family had a medium size lake for a few years. I did wonder how much crop pesticides from the neighbors fields would affect the weeds. Seaweed seems to be a wonderful compost ingredient, maybe the best possible?

Fresh cut grass is your best bet if you can wait until spring. I have two large bins full of fall leaves waiting for spring grass to be mixed in with the leaves.

But making compost just for composts sake may be a big mistake. My main gardening interest is growing tomatoes, with other stuff like spinach, peppers being secondary.

I have noticed that tomato production the first five years was way better than the last five years. Over the years I added compost in-ground and as mulch, to my clay-ish soil. So I am thinking that articles like Mother Earth News are correct about some pesticide products that can harm plants up to four years later.

I only use my grass and that of neighbors that do not have companies spray stuff on their lawn. Found out that one neighbor was bring home from work a spray because the weed killer he got at the retail store 'wasn't strong enough'. This was after I used his leaves for two years.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 3:49PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The Carbon to Nitrogen ratio of Alfalfa meal (most likely the same for pellets) is 15:1 as compared to cattle manure that ranges from 10 to 30 to 1, so probably enough of the pellets to cover about 6 inches of those leaves with about an inch, maybe two, should be the equivalent of 2 inches of manure.
Proven over many years is a ratio of high carbon material to a high nitrogen of 3 to 1, ie. 6 inches of, say, leaves, to 2 inches of your nitrogen source.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 7:39AM
greenepastures(9)

So how would the pellets be used? How much water would have to be added to them? I desperately need to heat up my struggling compost pile

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
rescuing a defunct flower bed
We bought our house a year ago and now want to replant...
chelsea_bridges64
Clay addition to dry sand soil help
I have sugar-fine, sandy soil amended with compost....
cowchip
Questions about gritty mix
Hi folks, I am a long time gardener but new to the...
hsw (zone 6, Boston area)
how would one add / help mycorrhizae
On another thread (very long and informative - why...
louisianagal
Composting gone cold
I've been composting for decades, but this winter,...
apg4
Sponsored Products
19 x 14.5 Professional End Grain Cutting Board - 1816
$52.99 | Hayneedle
21 x 17 Professional End Grain Cutting Board - 1822
$66.06 | Hayneedle
17 x 13 Professional End Grain Cutting Board with Feet - 1814
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Trolley Kitchen Cart - Black - 80696
$133.98 | Hayneedle
Catskill Craftsmen Hutch Top Cart with Enclosed Storage Microwave Cart - 51530
$213.02 | Hayneedle