Artic Fire Redtwig Dogwood Near a Driveway?

UncleHippie(5b)July 1, 2013

Hi all,

I have about a 12 foot section at the end of the turnaround of our driveway, and I was wondering if Artic Fire Red Twig Dogwood would be a good option to plant there? We are trying to decide between it and boxwood as sort of a hedge. I am concerned that the dogwoods would attract birds in the winter who might poop on our cars? We live in upstate New York in Zone 5b.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i dont understand what a 12 foot section means ...

when i moved.. i left a redtwig .. probably the species ... rather than a named variety ..... that was about 8 to 10 feet tall.. and a bit wider ...

you will need to prune it.. thru rejuvenation pruning.. forever ... IMHO ...

give the dimensions of your space ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: not a single winter pic shows winter berries.....

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:10PM
UncleHippie(5b)

The 12 foot section at the end of the turnaround is a space that was used by the previous owners to plant annuals. It is approximately 12 feet long and three feet wide. Right now it is all overgrown with weeds and the like. I am thinking of making this a small hedge in part to block snow drifts and look nice. I would like to get some ideas if possible. I think the redtwig dogwood would look nice there, but I am concerned that the bright red might attract birds to the driveway. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:26AM
gardengal48

No berries in winter to speak of (or many at any other time, either) and the colored stems not an issue with attracting birds. I wouldn't think a very good choice to block snowdrifts necessarily but a colorful addition in winter. And doesn't get very large - 3-4' tall and wide and easily cut back annually. In fact, recommended to be cut back annually to maintain best stem color.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 5:46PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

If the idea is to use it as a living snow fence, DEFINITELY read some instructions on proper positioning. They have to go in certain places, or you end up with a big snow drift in the middle of the driveway.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:55PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Is this in a place where you will need to put snow when you clear your driveway? I'm wondering if that is why the PO planted only annuals there. I've learned to leave ample room for the snow that the plow kicks up during heavy snow years in all spots near the drive, and to leave spaces for where DH puts the piles.

I'll second what Mad_Gallica says about researching the siting of snow fences, whether living or traditional. They create snow drifts in desired areas in order to prevent them in other areas, and typically they dump the snow just downwind of the fence location.

I do enjoy the bright color of the winter redwood stems, and they don't cause messy problems with birds and berries.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 9:30PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

If you cut it back every spring, as you need to to get the best winter colored stems, you will never get bloom or berries.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:24AM
More Discussions
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Need a fast growing shade tolerant hedge....Help please?
Does anyone have any ideas for a shade tolerant zone...
pebbles81
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™