Rose of Sharon

Karla12345678March 20, 2013

We have a home that is 110 yrs old. All gardens are overgrown with weeds, trees, vines. I have discovered a 25'x70' area of rose of sharons that are in range of 6' to 12' in height, very little blumage. I would like to separate and move them, but in need of any advice. Obviously they are very hardy, but seedlings abound as well. We have a bounty of dividings of many plants, so starting on this area is a good thing. I'm finding we need to tag plants throughout the seasons so to find them again! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

The plant called "Rose of Sharon" is not a rose, but a species of Hibiscus (H. syriacus). While there will likely be people on this forum who are familiar with Hibiscus, your best bet is to ask on the actual Hibiscus forum. I'm putting a link to it below. Good luck!

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus Forum at GardenWeb

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 7:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

Karla, "Althea" or Rose of Sharon, is an extremely hardy, persistent plant. They root EXTREMELY easily in water and (at least in my climate) can be dug, pruned and transplanted as long as they are still dormant (without leaves). They can be severely pruned and will explode back into growth and flower as much bushier plants. If you're in an area still experiencing severe winter weather, wait until your extremes are over and prune them after your chance of last frost. At that time, you can probably transplant them easily and safely. Just keep them watered if you aren't having rains. Good luck and have fun with them. They're great plants! Kim

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™