bareroots at Lowes

nastarana(5a)March 14, 2012

in upsate NY. It just barely possible to plant now, snow having melted last week.

I saw, beside KO, Coral Dawn, Lilian Gibson (!), Don Juan, and a few others.

I took a chance on Coral Dawn and Lilian Gibson. LG was a fairly decent plant, CD had had its roots cut off too short. The cooler temps might be helpful, in that I hope the plants won't be too quickly pushing out leaves until the roots can recover. I planted both right away, even though the ground is too wet for preparing the vege beds yet, and mounded soil over the canes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TNY78(7a-East TN)

I picked up Paradise, Deja Blue & Powerhouse about a month ago from Lowes...They're all in the ground, and Deja Bleu & Powerhouse are growing like crazy! Paradise had really short cut roots, so I'll have to see what happens with that one.

I didn't see Lillian Gibson or Coral Dawn at my Lowes...must be our different regions :)

Tammy

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 11:25PM
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

I took "Heirloom" off from my Chamblee's order and put in "The Prince", since I can get "Heirloom" grafted from Walmart.

I was at Walmart on March 12 and saw roses in big pots, and huge bareroots. There were lots of climbing roses and many HTs to choose. I saw "Heirloom" rose in a big pot (no leaves, but multiple large canes) for less than $8. I was ready to buy, but I'm not sure how thorny "Heirloom" is once fully grown. Any ideas? Thanks.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 10:12AM
seil zone 6b MI

Harumph! My Lowes never gets in anything exciting! Usually just a load of KOs and a handful of the same old ones every year. I was out shopping some this week but the only place that I saw roses was Big Lots and they looked so pathetic I passed on them. I'm waiting for Costco to get their's in because I got a $25 gift card for Christmas! Yippee, more roses!

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 4:14PM
nastarana(5a)

Lowes is paying attention to what might grow in different regions!!

I was surprised to see Lilian Gibson. I had thought all the body bagged roses in the USA came from Texas. Can it be that someone in Tyler has been planning plantings for cold areas?

I also saw the horrible roses at Big Lots, a few weeks ago when snow was still on the ground. You would think, a simple phone call from headquarters to ask local managers about local weather conditions might serve the company well.

I do hope the Coral Dawn will grow.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 4:55PM
mori1(5b/6a)

Big Lots ranks has having the worst roses I've ever seen and they don't care how they look. While every store I know puts the body bags outside so they can get some sunlight. Big Lots keep them inside looking sick and yellow. The bags of dirt gets treated better.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 6:46PM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

The Walmart near my house had Lillian Gibson for $8. I purchased one and she's soaking in a bucket of water as I type this. LOL. I've read lots of good stuff on her and can't wait to see her blooms.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 8:03AM
harmonyp

Strawberryhill - Heirloom for me is a stunning rose. I bought mine at Lowes 2 years ago, and it is now about 4'tall / 3' wide. The blooms are a beautiful medium purple with a wonderful fragrance. It has been extremely healthy for me, and I haven't even noticed the thorns.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 11:40AM
nastarana(5a)

My Coral Dawn and Lilian Gibson are now leafing out. I know that CD with the chopped roots would never have survived California heat and dryness. The price was around $8.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 11:58AM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

ive got to second the opinion on heirloom. a wonderful, wonderful rose. the color and form are really special.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
When to remove winter protection so it doesn't rot, basically?
After last year's killing Polar Vortex, this winter...
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
blaze improved
Is blaze improved really zone 3 like HMF says it is???? What...
rosecanadian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™