frozen soil

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)January 17, 2010

I did container gardening last year. In the shed is a some miracle grow potting mix that I have leftover from last year's growing season. Now I'd like for it not to go to waste, but what's left of it is frozen solid.

I'm just afraid when it thaws it'll be muddy and not suitable for gardening. Now I'm wondering if when it does thaw it'll be suitable for gardening?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annpatt

Yes, it will be fine, and so would the soil that you used last year in your pots. I save my potting soil from year to year in an outdoor "soil" bin.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 4:30PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If that potting soil is frozen the only problem with it is that there is too much moisture in it. Once it thaws and dries some it should be fine for use in pots and containers.

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 8:13AM
kawaiineko_gardener(5a)

How do I dry out the soil once it thaws?

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 4:33PM
jonhughes(So.Oregon)

Is Ashton Kutcher around ???
Are we being "PUNKED" ;-)

Put the soil in a container with some vegetation and add water.

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 7:45PM
Lloyd

If it was fine before it froze, it will be fine after it thaws. No significant moisture has been added nor taken away just because it froze.

Lloyd

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 7:53PM
PRO
Steven Laurin & Company

I'm beginning to see a pattern with kawaiineko_gardener that justaguy2 warned everyone about in other forums . . .

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 8:12PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

OK, you guys lost me.

But that frozen soil might well get moldy, fungus-y when it thaws. I would sterilize it before use, but that's just me.

Karen

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 10:10PM
Lloyd

I too did not understand. I did an 'all forum' search using the OP and justaguy2, now I understand.

Lloyd

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 7:04AM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

OK, did the search. I'm enlightened. I don't spend enough time on some of the forums to have understood.

Holy crap! Did JAG2 really buy a troll 3 earth boxes and potting medium? I am flabbergasted.

Because Jag2 has been such a knowledgeable and helpful gardener for so long I want to believe he's just an extremely generous person. Otherwise I'd question his sanity. JAG2, you might be the nicest guy on the 'net.

Karen

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 8:21AM
borderbarb

Kaw....gardener -- From MI with frozen soil from LAST YEAR. Someone else may be using your very unique online moniker.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg0317365016435.html
That thread post from March of 09 was asking about cool and warm sseason veggies for FLORIDA.\///////
////////////
Again from FLORIDA in April '09
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbs/msg04231734597.html

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 11:16AM
PRO
Steven Laurin & Company

Doing a search will not provide full enlightenment, since some threads have been edited.

After trying to locate one of these threads in particular, I discovered that the hostile posts, have been edited out - apparently by the mods.

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 11:55AM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

I got enough to see the dates and different locations, many, many recurring threads with similar type questions. Got the gist of it.

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 6:09PM
cowgirl2

FYI

Here is a link that might be useful: kawaii neko

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 3:49PM
kawaiineko_gardener(5a)

Just to clarify I never asked him to send the earthboxes to me, he CHOSE to. He suggested that I used earthboxes for container gardening because it'd simplify things immensely for me with container gardening.

I told him "I don't know what an earthbox is, and I can't afford to container garden using earthboxes". That wasn't
in any shape or implying to him "I'm broke and I want you
to send earthboxes to me; I was just telling him WHY
using earthboxes wasn't a viable option for me with container gardening.

I don't see him as nice like you do; he called me a douche and the scum of the earth and basically the most ungrateful person ever. He overlooked the fact that when I made the inquiry to him regarding that I was interested in his offer,
I said thank you BEFORE he even sent the earthboxes.

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 2:17PM
borderbarb

Kawii neko -- I am curious about the posts LAST YEAR ['09]giving FL as your zone and this current post ['10] giving MI as your zone, with comment about frozen miracle grow potting mix from LAST YEAR. Did you garden in both states last year? Reverse-Snow Bird? In FL for spring, summer and in MI for winter?

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Weeds and pollinators
Spring is just around the corner, uh huh yes it is,...
kimmq
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
Soil Test Report questions-please help.
Hello all you kind folks on this site. I have received...
allyn12
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
Berm and Top Soil/Tilling?
I plan on creating a low berm - about 6 inches tall...
Bob Sislow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™