Perennial Bachelor Button

alouwomack(Zone 7)March 27, 2011

I recently purchased a purple blooming plant labeled "Perennial Bachelor Button" . . .

I never knew such a plant existed. Has anyone ever grown these before? I'm wondering how it will do in the heat of North Texas.

Thanks,

Amber

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

check out the link ..

flip to the WEB side for mucho info ...

do NOT expect it to be as prolific as the annual ...

it is what it is...

have fun

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 2:36PM
maozamom NE Ohio

I weed out quite a few seedlings every year. It's not a problem but I imagine that left unchecked it could crowd out some more delicate plants.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 5:58PM
alouwomack(Zone 7)

Thank you both for the information. I'm particularly hoping that this plant can tolerate the hot summers we experience. It's protected from the setting west sun, so hopefully this will help. I'm all about tough perennials!

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 6:16PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

It is a very tough plant and does tolerably well with dry conditions (our summers are hot and dry, though probably nothing like yours!). It reseeds, but not in a pesky sort of way.

The flowers are large and quite lovely, though don't last terribly long. It is not a personal favorite of mine, since it looks rather scruffy after blooming and doesn't send up very much new growth even if cut back to the ground (that is my experience anyhow). Might not be a bad idea to plant it more toward the middle of the border instead of up front, where it is more noticeable in its less-than-attractive times ;-)
CMK

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 6:58PM
alouwomack(Zone 7)

CMK,

Thank you for your reply.

I did already plant it...towards the back of the bed so it won't be too noticeable when it gets scraggly. Do you cut the dead flowers off to encourage more blooms?

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 7:47PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Glad I could help you alouwomack. Yes, cutting spent flower heads did seem to help encourage a few more blooms. It isn't a great flush of new flowers, but even a few extra are a nice thing. ;-)
CMK

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 1:08PM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

I can't say how it will perform for you but in my zone 4 garden it's a pretty tough perennial. As mentioned it does look rather ratty after bloom. I cut it back hard and it re-grows quite quickly and I do get a light re-bloom. I also cut it back to prevent seedlings as here it is a fairly prolific re-seeder.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 9:52PM
simcan(z5b/Toronto)

I second that...I like it and it is tough. I snap off the spent booms (be careful because the seedheads look surprisingly like the buds) and this keeps it blooming heavily for a long while. Once the foliage gets ratty, which it does (it is susceptible to mildew) I cut it back hard (to fresh leaves) and this spurs a bunch of new vegetative growth (nice fresh bright green) and another round of (reduced) bloom right up to frost.

And they do seed a lot for me, but are easy to transplant or yank out.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 10:26AM
alouwomack(Zone 7)

Thank you all for your input...

I'm enjoying my new plant, but I can see how it probably won't be a show stopper...

I've been regularly clipping away the yellowish foliage and dead blooms. It seems to be happy with me so far. The hottest part of the summer hasn't hit yet though!

-Amber

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
daves10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™