koi breeders

ymaddox(ky 6)December 28, 2010

also could people be kind enough to post some good koi breeders in kentucky area or online that is reasonably priced...thanks in advance.

again not much going on over in the koi pond forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pondmaninal(7b)

Have you tried checking with any local koi clubs. They may be able to help you out locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greater Louisville KOI and Goldfish Society

Bookmark   December 28, 2010 at 8:45PM
ymaddox(ky 6)

no i have'nt but thanks that is a good resource, i am in the planning phase right now...wish i was digging but with all the snow could bet a little tough and cold out there lol. found a place on ebay that has some nice koi. was just looking for some more suggestions...thanks again for the info.

Bookmark   December 28, 2010 at 10:34PM
ccoombs1(7B SC)

Ebay is probably the worst place you can buy koi. There is a deadly koi virus out there (koi Herpes Virus, or KHV) that you need to do some research on. Koi can become infected and survive, only to pass the virus on to other koi later down the road. When an active infection hits a pond, 70% or so of the koi will die. the ones that survive it (including goldfish) are now carriers and should be euthanized. The only guy on Ebay that I know and trust is SJKoi, Richard Rombold. He runs a closesd farm and is KHV free. Be very wary of the Ebay sellers who are offering imports. Actually...be wary of ALL ebay sellers. If you are in the planning phases now, the best thing for you to do is contact that club. They can help you prevent a LOT of expensive mistakes and can point you to some good sources of healthy fish.

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 7:16AM
pondmaninal(7b)

ymaddox, I'm wondering if we might be related. I'm a Maddox.

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 10:23PM
ymaddox(ky 6)

not sure pondmaninal i live in kentucky

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 9:54PM
angel_fl(9)

what do you do if the power goes out and no generator. How do I keep my fish safe? have you used an air pump that runs on a car battery?

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 1:43PM
angel_fl(9)

sorry I did not mean to post a follow up, the above question should have been a new subject.

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
New UV ordered
This is my first time that I will use a UV lamp for...
hwarrick
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™