Dogwood pruning

mwalt2July 26, 2014

I have some dogwoods planted by the original owner of the house and would like to get some advice on the best way to go about pruning/trimming them. They are probably 7 feet tall and all I have done is cut a little off of the top in the past, though this does not seem to be the correct way to go about it from what I have read so far.

I want to make sure that I am pruning them at the right time and the correct way. Thanks for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Wow!! Those are gorgeous!! I'm a big fan of shrub dogwoods :-))

Those look to be the variegated red twig dogwood. Generally, rather radical pruning is done on these to encourage new stem growth, which has the most intense bark color.

There's a couple ways of going about this. You can prune back the entire shrub to a height of about 24-30" in late winter. You could leave it a bit higher if you feel that's too severe. Or you can take a third of the stems back to the ground (or as close as you can manage) at the same time of year. You can also trim back the top some if the overall height exceeds what you prefer.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 1:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mwalt2

Thank you for the message. I was thinking it was a red twig dogwood, but the pictures I've seen of the dogwood that had been taken care of looked pretty different (actually red :-) ). I think I will try to cut them back in late winter and see how it goes.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™