Leaves on my Buddleia, (Butterfly Bush)

gardenbug(8b)July 1, 2014

I've had my BB for about 4 or 5 years now and I noticed that this year the leaves on one side are completely green and on the other side the leaves are variegated (green with a cream/white edging) The bush is located on the west side of the house where it gets sun for most of the day. It's beginning to bloom out now and appears quite healthy. I'm just curious about the leaves and what would cause this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

You didn't say; was this a variegated plant that is now producing green leaves or a green plant that is becoming variegated? The former is the much, much more common occurrence, so I will write my answer with that scenario in mind.

The variegated buddleia plants, as with many variegated varieties of plants, is not very stable. You need to be watchful and prune off any green-leaved branches that develop as soon as possible. Variegated buddleia are much less vigorous, so the green-leafed branches that form will quickly become the dominate leaf form of a bush, if allowed. This is referred to as reverting. Variegated plants that do not tend to revert to non-variegated growth are referred to as stable.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 1:14

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 1:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

did anyone wash the siding with a detergent???

how about a pic

ken

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™