pond excavation and wetland construction

diepilzeDecember 25, 2013

My wife and I own three acres in Indiana. We have a flooding and ponding problem in our two small fields. It makes gardening hard, sometimes it can be muddy until late may or even June. Our largest field ponds with any rainfall because a large farm field drains into it through a French drain under the road. We want to pasture sheep or goats there, but I don't even know if I could find a totally suitable location for a shelter.
I need a plan to divert, retain, and gradually release runoff so that I can use my land.
I would like to excavate a large pond to hold the runoff. I think that I can dig a 30' Wx 40'Lx~6-8'deep pond with a principal spillway 40'x40'x1.5'. I want to plant the spill way with native floodplain trees and flora. I would like habitat for wood ducks and fish.
We're outside the city limits, but there are probably code and zoning ordinances to navigate. Where do I start navigating through the government?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

If I were in your situation I would check with my local extension service. The link below might be a good place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purdue Univ. Extension Service

Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Skippy Installation - Lots of Pictures
I spent last weekend redoing the pools at the top of...
pcan
Need help with my submersible pump.
My Shinmaywa submersible pump is pumping less volume....
judgebes
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™