holey crap 18 frogs!!!!

lisa11310(z5 MI)December 31, 2010

Our unusual mid winter thaw had me out inspecting the pond. The hose was ice free. I decided to add fresh water (well water) slowly throughout the day in the larger 500 gal preformed where the fish live. I could not run the (submersible) pump because the ponds were still mostly frozen over. I also ran a little water to the two 50 gal top ponds that create the waterfalls. Ill be darned if I didn't see something move under the ice of the middle pond. A frog! Now I have to rescue this little guy because those 2 small ponds will freeze solid most winters, I have never seen a frog survive in those 2 ponds, only find dead ones. That pond was frozen down to the bottom already and it took several hours letting the hose trickle to get the ice out. I saved the frog, threw him in the big pond where there are frog pots. Then I saw another then another and yet another. I began dismantling the top 2 small ponds. In the end I had 18 frogs 5 were already dead :( . I didn't dare put that many frogs in the fish pond because I was not sure they would survive if they were disturbed during their hibernation. I took my bucket full of frogs 1/4 mile down the road and let them go in a river bog that runs between 2 lakes. They were in the bucket long enough to become active and I am hoping they were strong enough to find a safe place to spend the rest of the winter. They would have all been dead by spring if I had not moved them (imagine what a stinky mess that would have been)! Can anybody tell me if they have any chance of survival having been moved in this state?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misss(5b)

Yes, they certainly will survive as long as there is a mud bottom for them to dig in. I know just how you feel because I have never, to my knowledge, had a frog survive in my upper pond either. My lower pond was 500 gal and I had 22 frogs one year. Remember that they are hibernating and are not consuming oxygen or creating excrement so they will not disturb the fish.
I do not know which I enjoy more, the fish or the frogs.

Just be careful running your pumps in the spring because the tadpoles tend to get sucked up.

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 2:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa11310(z5 MI)

Oh good! I knew they would not have a chance leaving them where they were. The funny thing is I had done a frog search just before it was supposed to freeze. The weather man was wrong and there was one more nice day after I did the search before it froze. I wonder how many are in the 500 gal pond. I just can not believe there were so many frogs in that tiny little pond. I am so thankful for the thaw (it's back down into the mid 30s now and snowing). The bottom of the stream/bog I put them in is very muddy and could be where some of them came from. I hope they are all doing well. I do enjoy the frogs as much as the fish but when they get big enough to eat birds they get relocated back to thier natural habitat.

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™