When to plant both weigealea and new zealend flax

wexgardenerAugust 7, 2014

When is the ideal time to plant both new zealend flax and also weigealea shrubs here in ireland

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

ideal time ... is when you can keep them properly watered .. given the ambient conditions ...

and i dont know when that is for Ireland ...

in my MI august.. the norm is near 90 -100 degrees [that is 'really freaking hot' in Celsius... lol ]... in blistering hot sun.. and relative drought ... in sand ... so i avoid... planting in august ...

i would be my shiny nickle...penny .. that does not describe IR in august ...

see link ... as to how to do it .. and how to water ...

in the alternative.. i like to say.. just because you buy it.. doenst mean it has to be planted immediately ... in my MI ... i would put the pots in full bright shade.. and plant in a month or so.. when day temps start subsiding in mid sept or so ... and night temps are cool... aka a recovery period for the daytime transplant shock ...

the default is.. what did your seller suggest????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

For Weigela the optimal time is October to March when the shrub is dormant. But you can plant container plants any time of the year really as long as you water them thoroughly at planting time. (Water once, deeply, even if it's raining.)

The Phormium I would plant any time other than if there's a frost as it is evergreen and has no dormant period, just a slow down in the winter. If you have already bought both plant them now.

'Freakin hot' does not apply over here ;-) Ken would laugh at my current heat wave. It's 79f out there today, Ken, and I'm hiding indoors.

p.s. Wex - you might like to alter your member page because it says you're in the US.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Does anyone know what kind of shrub this is?
Landscaper planted it calling it silver green, but...
pebbles81
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
Unknown evergreen shrub
Hello experts! Do you know what this evergreen shrub...
kevinako
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™