Indian Hawthorn Shrubs Dying

jackddAugust 20, 2009

I have several Indian Hawthorn shrubs in the beds on the norht side of my house that are about 8 yrs. old, 3 to 5 ft. tall and most look very healthy. Occasionally, one of the shrubs just decides to die, usually in late summer. The leaves turn brown and just shrivel up for no apparent reason. This process usually takes only a few days and dies very wuickly. I don't see any visible problem shuch as mildew, black leaf spots, insects, or anything. Sometimes, just one branch will die and I prune it off. The plant will eventually grow back full, but it takes a year or two. Sometimes, though, the whole shrub will die. Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this and have a remedy to stop it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Presuming this is Rhaphiolepis, could be anything with the info presented, but they don't thrive in that position and need more sun. So they are weak already and susceptible to whatever pathogen is there waiting for an opportunity to attack stressed and weakened plants. The remedy would be to plant them in a place with more sun and replace with a more suitable plant.

Dan

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 9:57AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

As soon as you notice one of the branches dieing (after making reasonably sure it really is dieing), remove the entire branch, bag it in a large plastic trash bag, and take it to your local extension agent. Asked them to try to ID the problem. I don't know what the problem is, but I'd bet, if the branches and shrubs are dieing that fast there will be clues on close inspection.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 10:36AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Indian Hawthorn is susceptible to Fire Blight.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 1:59PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

And numerous other banes. If the spot and climate is just right, they can make impressive specimens. Otherwise...

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™