The Forsythia is Blooming!

TNY78(7a-East TN)March 14, 2013

While driving home from work today, I noticed that the forsythia is blooming! We've had daffodils for a week or so, but I really gauge spring by the forsythia. ...and to welcome Spring ever more, I received my Palatine order this afternoon; big, beautiful, healthy bareroots that are going in the ground Saturday. Let the pruning, planting and of course...let Spring begin!

Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Awesome! Time to prune! lol
Things still asleep here but should
be waking up soon...

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:42PM
seil zone 6b MI

sounds wonderful, Tammy! Send it north soon!

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 11:25PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Forsythia or no, the third week in March is a good time to prune roses in the upper South. I used to say the fourth week, but our climate has really changed.

In Asheville, we have had daffodils for nearly a month, but I haven't seen any forsythia. We had a zone 8 winter, but March has been cold, which is a good thing for roses.

Roses are just starting to grow out. I will be pruning this weekend--it is supposed to be very warm.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:12AM
jlee160(5 MI)

Send it this way please!!!! I am so ready for spring...I've been going on daily hunts in search of signs of it nearing....
some bulbs are starting to wake up:)

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:51AM
Campanula UK Z8

grief, yes - no sign of spring here - in fact, we have been warned to expect more of the miserable same until mid-april.
2 narcissi open, hellebores and crocus, still have snowdrops. Waiting for primroses - my main harbinger of spring.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 1:25PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Daffs are showing color, but not open yet. No forsythia. Some of the roses have leaf buds of 1" or more, and that thug Excellenz von Schubert has started to leaf out. Happy days ahead!

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 3:29PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

Forsythia have been blooming for about 2 weeks. I finally went out and did the start of my spring rose gardening today. It felt good to get going. Got my hands dirty and actually sweated. Put 3 roses in the ground today. Will put 3 more in their home tomorrow. Will also give everything their early spring "kick in the but" liquid fert. plus fish tomorrow, then start my regular feeding on the 1st of April. Can't wait for my first blooms.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:04PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

Michael, I think maybe our daffodils have been up closer to three weeks, rather than the one week I initially said. You and I should be really close in terms of spring flowers and such...I bet your forsythia will bloom this coming week.

Its interesting to hear how different parts of the Country are in different stages of Spring. Our bartlett pears (stinky little trees) are also just beginning to open up their flowers. Tulip and iris leaves are about 4 inches high...definitely no buds yet on them. Quince is blooming, but that usually comes at the same time as forsythia anyway.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on getting my 7 roses from Palatine in the ground...crossing fingers that the rain hold off until Sunday!

Tammy

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses...
bluehaven_gweb
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™