Sorghum peet moss

gobluedog(5)January 22, 2014

Is it ok to grow container plants in a mixture of Sorghum peet moss and lots of perlite for drainage? will the ph, acidic Sorghum peet moss not be a good growing medium alone with perlite? I normaly use a professional peet blend but could not find any till spring, i bought some last fall vigoro garden soil for my repotting needs. My plants that i saved to overwinter aren't doing very well using the garden soil, i even mixed it with lots of perlite for drainage but the garden soil is still to soggy with limited watering. any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Do you mean sphagnum peat moss?

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:50AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Most all soilless potting mixes are made of peat moss with either perlite or vermiculite added to promote drainage. You could use Sphagnum Peat Moss providing you could grind it fairly finely. The manufacturers of potting soil mixes do neutralize them with lime, often.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 6:31AM
gardengal48

To answer your question directly, no, the combo of just peat moss and perlite is not a great idea. Peat moss is highly acidic - typically much more than most plants prefer - and is usually of a pretty small particle size. Even adding copious amounts of perlite is not likely to provide the very fast drainage and good aeration most container plantings prefer. Plus you would need to amend to offset the high acidity.

I'd suggest you look for a decent potting soil - a soil mix designed specifically for container plantings. Most garden centers and home improvement stores should carry something suitable. Otherwise, you might want to check out the Container Gardening forum for various homemade potting soil recipes as well as container growing tips.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:39PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

From the Proven Winners website I have linked below, " Most potting soil you buy in a garden center are comprised of three basic ingredients: peat moss, pine bark, and either perlite or vermiculite (to provide air space)."

Here is a link that might be useful: What is potting soil

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 6:14AM
More Discussions
Is non-organic compost OK?
Hello, I am wondering if buying compost from a small,...
kebenn2
Hate new GW
I hate the new Garden Web! I cannot figure it out!
annpat
Gooey vegetable compost under kitchen sink
Fellow gardeners who COMPOST, I need some advice. I...
valrie87
Compost is wet and soggy. Can I use it? It's not done yet..
Hi there. My first compost is almost a year old now....
Mikkel Nielsen
Hand crank or battery grinder/ chipper for the garden?
Good morning all. I'm new to these forums and have...
rhoder551
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™