Shrub ID Please...

graycamAugust 7, 2009

Hi,

Can someone please ID this shrub? I've seen a few around and would like one.

Sorry for the pic qty - from a blackberry.

Shrub is about 4 ft tall, leaves about 3 cm, and tiny pink/fucschia flowers.

Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graycam

Sorry - wasn't presented with a file upload option. Images can be found here (2 pics)

http://plantsandbonsai.shutterfly.com/27

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 Pics of Shrub

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 11:15AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Looks like it could be a Rhaphiolepis indica (Indian Hawthorn), but the picture quality is so bad I really can't tell. A clearer picture might be necessary for positive ID, or you could review the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images of Rhaphiolepis indica

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 11:34AM
gardengal48

It is escallonia -- from the size of the plant and the flower color, I'd say Escallonia 'Newport Dwarf'.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 12:37PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

My inability to read is one thing (re another thread in the tree forum), but I know my eyes aren't that bad. How did you make that ID for certain from two picture that are so blurry? I know what Escallonia looks like, but I sure wouldn't be able to make that ID from what I saw. It's certainly a good possibility, but I wouldn't bet any more on it being that than something else.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 1:57PM
gardengal48

Because the leaf arrangement, size, shape and the flower form/color match. It's an extremely common shrub in these parts and I sell dozens at the nursery. And it looks nothing like Raphiolepis:-)

If you enlarge the thumbnails, it is easier to see. And I didn't think the photos were all that blurry, considering they were taken with a blackberry.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 2:41PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

When I enlarge the photos, I can't make out anything about leaf arrangement and very little about flower form/arrangement. As a matter of fact, right after I saw your post, I looked back at the pictures to see if the flower form matched Escallonia. I couldn't/still can't tell. I guess we're looking at the same pics...

If you're sure you're sure, then I believe you.

(rubbing eyes and trying to focus)

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 3:18PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Actually, there is plenty enough discernible to see it is one of the dwarf escallonia cultivars. These are on the tender side, the plantings in the yard across the lane from me north of Seattle were nearly killed by this last winter. The ones I had planted here on Camano got pulled out this summer.

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 12:53AM
gardengal48

Yes, certainly vulnerable to a winter like the one just past in this area. However, I've seen as many survivors as I've seen those that didn't make it. Siting will play a factor as will soil condition -- it is my unscientific opinion that soil that is very well draining will increase the likelihood that many so-called tender plants will survive a rough winter. I had a very interesting discussion on this subject yesterday with the owner of a local nursery specializing in Mediterranean plants, many of which are marginally hardy for this area. She firmly believes and it's been her experience that very well drained soil can increase cold tolerance by a full hardiness zone for selected plants. Considering what she's got growing in what is essentially a bit of a local cold pocket, I'm inclined to give some weight to this theory.

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™