Can you compost dog hair?

whiteoakian(6)January 25, 2010

I am new at composting. I saw where someone had posted that they had composed dog hair. Really? If so, since we foster golden retrievers, I have plenty. Thanks for advice.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonas302(central mn 4)

Sure can in moderation of course it doesn't decompose very fast but is rich in good things

My lab is black so I don't mind at all if there is some hair that isn't completly composted

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 9:17PM
heirloomjunkie(5a)

Is it true that dog hair/scent in the garden will keep away rodents and rabbits? I had my garden in a large dog pen and didn't see a one last year.

Kim

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 9:25PM
beermaninpa

One of the things I have seen is to leave it out for the birds to build nests.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 9:40PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

You can compost the hair from dogs, people, or about any other animal because it is a protein and will be digested by the bacteria that digest everything else. I have not seen that the hair from dogs, or anything else, will keep rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, skunks, or much of anything else out of your garden.

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 6:55AM
whiteoakian(6)

Thank you for the info. I'll go ahead and add that to the pile. DH will think I've totally lost it. And if it keeps some critters away, that's a bonus!
Susan

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 12:21PM
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

yep any hair it all contains trace elements, have heard of some who collect it from hairdresser shops, we don't compost in heaps bins all our occurs in the garden, so it works well for us.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 12:30PM
lazy_gardens

Some hair decomposes faster than others.

Oily fur, such as the wooly undercoats of Akitas, Malemutes, and many retrievers, is slower to decompose than silky hair.

But it will eventually decompose.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 3:50PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I compost dog hair. I have two dogs and whenever I brush them, it goes into the compost.

The majority of stuff in my dustpan and vacuum cleaner bags is dog hair, which also gets composted.

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 11:05AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

As to whether dog hair repels varmints: I have had real dogs, Chow chow cross bred, at this house for nearly 20 years and still have skunks, raccoons, rats, squirrels, cats, and possums. My first dog would kill anything in the yard it could catch, but that doesn't repel them. The rest of them were not killers but they will run them to ground or a tree.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 2:04AM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

The only repeling nature a dog has in regards to varmints and other creatures is that of running them off the property as Dchall says. That's if you are refering to anything but a porcupine... My Black Lab tries to make friends with them since they will actually stand their ground... We've become experts at removing quills.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 10:54AM
thasser(8b)

If you want to fix a pest problem with an animal, get cats for smaller/medium size pest. I am not a cat person but they eradicated all moles, squirrels, possums, rabbits, pretty much anything that was a threat to my garden. They even are good for indoor pest control.

1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:35PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

yeah and those cats take care of all those nice creatures that you don't want to get rid off. They are indiscriminate killers that kill native songbirds, threatened amphibians, and mice alike. They don't respect property lines and will roam neighborhoods defecating on other people's homes, gardens, and patio furniture spreading disease. hmm, maybe people should respect those around them and not let theor cats roam free for cheap lazy pest control.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 5:19PM
bill13286(7 DFWTX)

Free Roaming cats are a good addition to the compost pile.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:24PM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

No comment on cats, reserve my opinion due to ambivalence from personal experience (OK, long, very long ago, 5 cats in succession). Back to dogs. If I composted all of the hair from my retriever the garden would be fibrous. But seriously, I haven't put hair in garden or compost before because of its slow decomp, but may have to try unloading the mounds of hair from brushing into the pile. Might strangle cutworms?
hortster

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
How quickly can I lower pH of soil in order to plant acidic plants?
I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma! I...
stillasprout
Frozen compost
Ok so the deep freeze here in nj is not letting up...
jrupjr
Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?
Are these okay to add to the bin? Won't the mold spread...
greengardener07
how would one add / help mycorrhizae
On another thread (very long and informative - why...
louisianagal
The case against compost tumblers
I am complete against tumblers. They don't drain well...
tropical_thought
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™