Question about bare root planting

paulsiu(5a)March 25, 2012

I planted some columbine bare root. This is the first time I an planting bare root so I am not sure if I did it properly. The plant consist of a root and some sort of bean spout like thing at the other end. I planted it so that the root is in the ground and the bean spout is sticking out of the groud.

What happens now? Does the bean spout thingy get greener and becomes the stem?

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

what the heck is a columbine doing with a bean on it????

no picture huh???? i cant keep track of who has what reason for relying on words..

but safe to say.. if you put the roots in the ground.. you are 90% of the way to success ... plus water of course..

and otherwise.. w/o a pic.. all i can hope is that your been turns into a columbine ... and only time will tell

ken

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 3:13PM

it took me about an hour.. to figure out the bean SPROUT thing ... wish you had a camera ...

are you saying.. that the thing came out of dormancy.. in the plastic package.. in total darkness and you have white albino sprouts???

if so ... you should have potted them.. and put them in the garage.. to temper them off to both temps and light .. during which time they would green up and be ready for planting at the proper time.. which is in about 3 weeks.

if any of that albino material gets hit with a frost.. it will die back ... and who knows if the roots will be able to resprout ...

i would dig them back up ... and this is the reason i keep some potting media in the around for potting .. along with the pots of course ...

ken

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 4:22PM
paulsiu(5a)

Yes, it came out of the package that way with an albino spout. I assume this mean it's not normal.

Paul

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 7:52PM
echinaceamaniac(7)

I think Columbines can tolerate some cold. They do grow on mountains. The white should color up in a week or two.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 8:05PM
Maggie M.(z7 Sunset7 CA Sierra Foothills)

The sprouting thing means it started growing in the bag, you did the right thing. Columbine are pretty easy from seed - if you have decent topsoil, just sprinkle the seeds from this plant (when they form later) where you want them before the winter cold, and you'll have new plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 9:34PM

as to bigboxstore packages of plants..

check out the link..

open package.. and put it back if its filled with beansprouts ... and ... see link within this link ..

ken

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 9:06AM
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

Well Ken, hafta disagree...lol...only because I HAVE to buy my stuff in that condition due to finances (or lack thereof...lol). I've got many a great plant (eventually) from Dollar General, Big Lots, etc....in those nasty little bags with sawdust and holes in them where it's grown out of it's comfort zone, all crunched up inside.

But I feels it's my duty to rescue 'em, plant 'em, and give 'em a good, loving home....lol.

But seriously, I'd have never guessed the 'bean sprout' description was new growth but now that I think about it....that's EXACTLY what it looks like.

So Paul...I commmend you on figuring out the right thing. Were the bare roots still firm (not mushy or dried out?) and did you plant the main plant so that the lower white part was beneath the soil and the green part above? (You can sacrifice the bean sprout thingy if you didn't get that one right....wont' hurt it). You just don't wanna put too much green part DOWN too deep or vice versa...not too much white up too high. But if you DID, I wouldn't disturb it now. If it went thru living in a bag, it's probably tough enough to survive.

To be honest, I like buying abused and half-dying plants. I feel if they can survive in bad conditions then I've got a pretty good chance of not killing them....lol.

Give it love and it will follow...lol.

Bonnie

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 12:46AM
paulsiu(5a)

The root was firm and not mushy, neither was the white part. There was nothing green about the sprout, except the yellowish bit on the tip. I did not bury the white part though. I guess I was worry about crown rot.

Paul

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 8:10AM
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

Sounds like you did it right. I have bought varieties of daylilies like that. When they've grown too long in the bag, the newer sprouting part is often white...I'm guessing due to lack of sunlight. So I do the same -- leave it up out of the ground because in ideal conditions it would have been green...lol.

Again...good luck!

Bonnie

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™