Does Helenium 'Mardi Gras' come true from seed?

kbeuerleinMarch 28, 2011

I have a halo of what appear to be seedlings around the mother plant coming up, and not sure whether to pluck or transplant. Am happy to let a few grow to see what happens, but was wondering what your experience was.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

I did a search and came up with varying answers. Several sites said either that it was sterile and did not set seed (appears to be incorrect as you have seedlings) or was best propagated by cuttings or divisions. Another site mentioned propagation by seed. I hope someone else chimes in as this was one I was planning to try. If you leave some let us know.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 9:41PM
tepelus z6a SW MI

I don't know about 'Mardi Gras', but I have what they call 'Red Shades' (how generic) and I've had a lot of reseeding. Some of the plants looked similar to the originals, but most were varied in color from solid red to solid yellow, and any mix of red, yellow and orange splashed in the petals. So, your seedlings could very well be the same way. But you won't know until they flower. Mine flowered their first year, so yours may too. I suppose, if you don't like a certain color you can always pull out that particular plant while in bloom. The plants are easy to pull out when young.

Karen

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 10:01PM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Most varieties of Helenium are what I call "hybrid-clones" and should be propagated asexually/vegetatively to remain "true-to-name". There are a few seed-strains, and they are generally variable.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Hey, I just remember I have...
globeflower! Totally forgot I have these, I was typing...
mxk3
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™