best Yew for hedges

salarnAugust 29, 2006

Which yew is better for hedges, dense or hick yew? Also how much spacing is required when planting and what type of fertilizer should i use? Also how much do they grow in one year? Thank-you very much. Sal

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinamcg(Z5b Kansas City)

It depends on how high you want your hedge to be. Dense yews are shorter than Hicks yews, at least in my experience. We have some dense yews that I've been trying to get more height from since we moved here in 1998. I trim them "rough", and as little as possible, but they're not much taller now than 8 years ago.

We put in about a dozen Hicks yews in 1999 as part of a 100-ft long woody privacy berm. They were 3-ft. high. We spaced them on 4.5-ft. centers, and they've grown nicely into hedge formation. I trim them once a year and I'd say they're about 5-ft tall now. They might have been taller if I hadn't trimmed them each year, but I wanted them to develop a compact habit.

As for fertilizers, I don't think I feed them more than once every 2-3 years. I've used fertilizer spikes for evergreens. I've also used Holly Tone. The soil is very nice, though, and they probably don't need to be fed at all.

They tend to suffer bad winter burn, even with a southern exposure, so sometimes I give the most vulnerable ones some burlap protection for winter. Hope this helps,

Tina McG

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Help me choose a hedge!
I need to plant a privacy hedge in my front yard (we...
glitzalicious
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™