Blueberry leaves turning red

yelena1980August 11, 2006

Help!!! It looks like my blueberry plants are dying. The leaves are turning red and brown.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohaganem(z8WA)

Do you think it could be because it is heading towards fall? Some of my deciduous plants are already showing some signs of fall colors.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 4:43PM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I live within a few miles of one of the major commercial blueberry growers in the Eastern U.S.A. and few of the leaves in the fields seem to be turning. None of my highbush or lowbush plants have any but green leaves. If you are in zone 7 or warmer, the leaf color might be due to stress. The growers provide well drained, acid soil and water a few feet below the roots,in the sun. I have wild blueberries that seldom fruit in complete shade, with leaves still totally green. Other plants have some leaves dropping and colored but we have had a stretch of dry weather.

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 6:21AM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

Do you have strongly acid soil? If not, that could be the reason your blueberries are not happy.

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 7:02AM
silvergold(z5a WI)

I don't have blueberries but my viburnum tribolum have done similar in some years (not this year yet). I always wrote it off to fall colors starting early due to stress or heat. They never seemed sick otherwise, just turned colors.

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 1:26PM
tinamcg(Z5b Kansas City)

Just a thought, when my serviceberry and chokeberry bushes develop bright red leaves, it's a fungal disease. I don't grow blueberries because our soil is all wrong for them. They're my favorite food, so I wish I could have them here. Sorry, I'm not familiar with diseases that attack them.

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Need a fast growing shade tolerant hedge....Help please?
Does anyone have any ideas for a shade tolerant zone...
pebbles81
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Does anyone know what kind of shrub this is?
Landscaper planted it calling it silver green, but...
pebbles81
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™