mantis composter

larry_n7luf(8)January 29, 2014

Hi, I just got done building my new "mantis composter" and was wondering why they are painted green and not black. I have been thinking of painting it black for better rust protection and heat. My wife and I juice a lot and have 4 composter running all the time wanting to add the mantis composter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paleogardener(9)

You may paint it any color you like, it will still give you compost :)

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 10:49PM
larry_n7luf(8)

Just thinking black would make things cook faster.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 11:45PM
robertz6

Mantis and other brands are painted (maybe manufactured is a better choice of words) green to better blend in with yards.

Having the tumbler exteriors in black would not significantly change the inside temp. The heat is generated inside the tumbler or bin, so those wishing to minimize heat loss would insulate the outside. Tumblers suffer in comparison to larger bins in winter composting -- there just is not the bulk to minimize heat loss.

I moved from a tumbler to two large mesh bins 4'x4'2'high years ago for a number of reasons.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 9:38PM
poaky1

I bought 2 mantis single barrel compost tumblers. Only 1 is still in service. I may use the other for spare parts if ever needed in the future. I have made my own out of 50-55 gallon blue plastic barrels. I made doors on the side with hinges that close and have a pole through the center. I have to spin it over the pole axle in the middle, kinda like on the price is right. you try and use your strength to spin it up and over on the big wheel. It works pretty darn good, despite the fact that the volume of organic matter isn't very massive, it rots pretty well, if given the time. It is easier to maintain even moisture.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Kitty litter in compost
I use wheat kitty litter and we mostly flush it down...
yugoslava
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
How quickly can I lower pH of soil in order to plant acidic plants?
I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma! I...
stillasprout
Fungus in compost
This pile was started about 3 weeks ago. It is overun...
jon2412
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™