Is holly pollination species-specific?

canishel(z7 TN)August 2, 2009

I'm serious. My yard is surrounded by woods. To the best of my knowledge, no one in the neighborhood has Ilex verticillata except me.

The plants I have are loaded with berries while the two males had very few flowers. Even in the years prior to the males flowering, the winterberries had lots of berries. In fact, the females were planted for several years and had berries before I planted males. But there are also Foster hollies in the yard, and Ilex glabra (compacta and Shamrock). (The glabras so far have not had many berries).

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The answer to your question is yes and no - some do, some don't :-) The attached link explains it nicely and offers suggested pollinators for specific species. Dirr's Manual of Woody Plants also provides a listing of suitable pollinators by species.

I also found another source which, contrary to most other sources, states boldy that "any holly species can pollinate any other holly species" as long the bloom periods coincide, but since it also contained several glaring errors with regards to hollies, I discounted its veracity.

Here is a link that might be useful: holly pollination

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 6:10PM
canishel(z7 TN)

gardengal48,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess the next question concerns those hollies that whose pollination is not species-specific. Are the resulting berries sterile? Or do the seeds germinate true to either the mother or sire plant (I don't see how they could). I'm now concerned with the possibilty of generating some highly invasive shrubs.
The worry never ends...

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 7:14PM
esh_ga

If pollinated by two different species, they would be hybrids. There are naturally occurring native hybrids (crosses of Ilex opaca and Ilex cassine, for example).

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™