Can some please ID this shrub?

gardenbug(8b)August 26, 2012

I think it is a shrub. It is planted in my son's backyard, next to a white fence. There is some paint on it's leaves from someone who must have been painting the fence and spilled it all over the place.

Anyway, I've posted a pic to see if someone can please ID it for me? Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenbug(8b)

Another pic.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 3:23PM
gardenbug(8b)

Another?

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 3:25PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Buxus sempervirens.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 4:13PM
gardenbug(8b)

Thanks bboy. I googled Buxus Sempervirens and it appears that there are several different cultivars. I'm wondering if this is suppose to be a hedge? Would you happen to know how I should take care of it? These are just a few of the cultivars that I found and am wondering which one I would mostly like have? Is this similar to a boxwood hedge?

'Inglis', 'Northern Beauty', 'Northern Find', 'Northland', and 'Welleri' - These forms posses sufficient cold-hardiness and good form to be considered for for use in New England.

'Graham Blandy' - A very unusual fastigiate form becoming more prevalent in the industry. Grows as a narrow column of deep green leaves, to 9' tall but only 2' wide. May not be as hardy as other types.

'Pendula' - A type with weeping branches that forms a small 6' tree in time. Not widely available and perhaps not as hardy.

'Suffrutiosa' - A dense, compact slow-growing form ideal for low hedge use. Believed to be less susceptible to boxwood leaf miner. An old and commonly used cultivar, widely available.

'Vardar Valley' - A low growing form reaching 2' to 3' tall and 4' to 5' wide. Probably cold hardy to -15o F without injury. Slow-growing and mounded, this form is very popular and widely available.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Illicium simonsii - anyone have experience with it?
I just came across Illicium simonsii at a local nursery...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Shot hole disease- Can my laurels be saved?
I recently purchased a new home with Otto Luyken cherry...
hafamily5
How long does it take a nandina firepower to get to full size?
I want to buy some 1 gallon nandina firepower shrubs...
tlbean2004
Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire Showers close to house
Would it be fine to plant Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire...
delidiva
Best thorny shrub to plant in front of window?
I am looking to plant a thorny shrub in front of my...
Ryan Kelley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™