Can some please ID this shrub?

gardenbug(8b)August 26, 2012

I think it is a shrub. It is planted in my son's backyard, next to a white fence. There is some paint on it's leaves from someone who must have been painting the fence and spilled it all over the place.

Anyway, I've posted a pic to see if someone can please ID it for me? Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenbug(8b)

Another pic.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 3:23PM
gardenbug(8b)

Another?

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 3:25PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Buxus sempervirens.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 4:13PM
gardenbug(8b)

Thanks bboy. I googled Buxus Sempervirens and it appears that there are several different cultivars. I'm wondering if this is suppose to be a hedge? Would you happen to know how I should take care of it? These are just a few of the cultivars that I found and am wondering which one I would mostly like have? Is this similar to a boxwood hedge?

'Inglis', 'Northern Beauty', 'Northern Find', 'Northland', and 'Welleri' - These forms posses sufficient cold-hardiness and good form to be considered for for use in New England.

'Graham Blandy' - A very unusual fastigiate form becoming more prevalent in the industry. Grows as a narrow column of deep green leaves, to 9' tall but only 2' wide. May not be as hardy as other types.

'Pendula' - A type with weeping branches that forms a small 6' tree in time. Not widely available and perhaps not as hardy.

'Suffrutiosa' - A dense, compact slow-growing form ideal for low hedge use. Believed to be less susceptible to boxwood leaf miner. An old and commonly used cultivar, widely available.

'Vardar Valley' - A low growing form reaching 2' to 3' tall and 4' to 5' wide. Probably cold hardy to -15o F without injury. Slow-growing and mounded, this form is very popular and widely available.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™