dumb question about peels

wantonamara Z8 CenTexFebruary 11, 2012

I am a lurker at best and a dilettante at composting. I have a pile and I make layers of lots of stuff. No rhyme or rhythm, just what is. I am having a problem of the should I or should I not throw the wax covered rutabaga peels into the compost. The wax has me concerned. What are your thoughts?? Should I toss and be unconcerned. I am good at being unconcerned and loose about things.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bi11me(5b)

It is food grade wax, and will eventually degrade. It won't improve your compost. You can put the peels in hot water, and the wax will float. Add some ice cubes, and it will then harden on the top and is easily removed. After a few years, you could make a birthday candle. I'd let the racoons eat it.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 2:40AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Your question is not "dumb" and may well be one others thought about asking but did not. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
As bil stated that wax is food grade and will not harm, nor contribute anything to, your compost. We have tossed Rutababga peels, wax covered, into our compost for many years.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 6:41AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Thank you , I will continue what I have been doing then.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 11:04AM
iheartnature

Hi, just posting to say THANK YOU for this question and all the answers. It was a huge help (and definitely NOT dumb). I'm tossing my wax-covered rutabager (as we call 'em down south) peels into my compost with peace of mind. Thanks.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 12:27PM
toxcrusadr

The same wax is used on citrus, apples, cukes and all kinds of vegetables. Perfectly safe for the compost. :-] Probably the same stuff they make Wax Lips and Wax Coke Bottle candies from.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Using Compost as Mulch
I have a large perennial and rose garden. I have used...
spinach
Patio Composting
Would like to start composting in a small patio area...
ecodonnell
what about those compost tumblers?
We just moved from Northern IL to TN and I need a quick...
ryseryse_2004
The case against compost tumblers
I am complete against tumblers. They don't drain well...
tropical_thought
How quickly can I lower pH of soil in order to plant acidic plants?
I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma! I...
stillasprout
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™