dwarf Ninebark

nancy0903August 24, 2013

i love ninebark (the dark varieties) and know that there are dwarf varieties out - tiny wine, little devil, maybe more.... does anyone have experince with these and have a preference? i am hoping to find one that truly stays to the 3 to 4 feet height and spread promised.
thanks,
nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The mildew people from back there have been griping about on the internet for awhile is starting to show up in my area. Or another kind - at any rate you end up with whitened, deformed shoots here and there.

Not the most pleasant feature, particularly on a purple plant.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 12:03AM
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

I don't have much experience with Ninebarks (recently planted one in the back yard), but I understand that they can be pruned to shape on a yearly basis if necessary.

Jim

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:44AM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

You can coppice them each year and they'll stay smallish, but a shame to do this to a shrub with the kind of bark that a Physocarpus has! I grow most of mine as small, multi-trunked trees.

Never seen mildew on them here, but that has no relevance for Zone 6 NY.

Sara

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:09AM
greenhavenrdgarden

I have the dwarf Ninebark. I think it's Little Devil but I'll check the tags tomorrow when I post pics or you. It could be Tiny Wine. I love it. It's beautiful. I planted it last summer along with 2 Summer Wine's in various spots in the yard. The color on both varieties are similar and beautiful. The dwarf plant though has taken off and is already chin high (I'm 5' 5"). I have it right next to a Little Lime hydrangea and they are growing exactly at the same rate. Thy look great together but they are both not so "dwarf".
I'll post a pic later when I have access to my pics.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:11PM
greenhavenrdgarden

Here's some pics....

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:28PM
nancy0903

thanks. It's a beautiful combination - the limelight and little devil. i was afraid that it wouldn't be so dwarf (as you said). i may go for it, Can't really beat the color - and as suggested above, i'll prune it down if necesssary.
thanks!!

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 11:11PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Deer love my normal Ninebark and it's still in a pot. I'm having a hard time placing it where the deer don't get at it. Deer are usually not much of a problem with the rest of the garden.
Mike

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 8:44AM

Yes, a Diabolo = 'Monlo' I planted on Camano Island (w WA, USDA 8) proved to be hopeless due to deer access. It was in amongst other, taller trees and shrubs, too, and not out on a lawn - where they couldn't miss it.

The bark doesn't excel to me - various other shrubs produce a similar appearance - but the fresh, reddish fruit clusters can be striking - and the white flowers may sometimes stand out against the purplish leaves. So I wouldn't want to prune the flowering wood away anyway. I also like it a lot better when the shrubs fill in and begin to develop a fountain shape - something that won't happen if you keep cutting them down, so that all the shoots present are young, vertical and spaced out.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 6:28PM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

Can't understand how you can say that about the bark - once the trunks get some girth on them the bark is stunning. I haven't seen anything else that is quite the same.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 8:07PM
greenhavenrdgarden

Just goes to show how deer vary depending on area. I live in the middle of the woods. I've counted 18 deer in my yard at one time. Even though I use Liquid Fence on my flowers, I haven't used it on my Ninebarks and the deer haven't touched them. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by writing this.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 9:29PM

They're attracted to novelty - including native plants that don't happen to be encountered by those particular deer elsewhere, would otherwise be passed by.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™