Ebb Tide V. Twilight Zone

desertgarden561- Las Vegas Z9aMarch 21, 2014

Today, upon careful analysis of both of these roses, to my eye and nose this is what I observed:

Ebb Tide has the deep smokey purple through and through, whereas Twilight Zone becomes almost fuchsia toward the center. I much prefer the color of Ebb Tide as I was searching for "purple"

The flowers on my Twilight Zone are slightly larger than Ebb Tide.

The fragrance is very lovely and extremely similar to my nose. Actually, I could not detect any difference but it is allergy season so my sense of smell may not be at its best.

The leaves on Ebb Tide are darker and less glossy than Twilight Zone. I really like the leaves on Twilight Zone. The aphids are not attacking TZ the way they have been other roses in my garden.

I know Ebb Tide is reported to become a real stinker when it becomes hot, I will definitely see�.

Unfortunately, my camera battery died before I could snap shots of TZ, but here is Ebb Tide.

Lynn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

Hmmm. I've never seen my Twilight Zone with such a light color, even in 100 degree weather. That's too bad, Lynn. It may hold its color better when the plant gains maturity. I have three Ebb Tide roses, and one thing I've noticed is that they all have ugly growth habits with canes popping out at odd angles. TZ, being a grandiflora, has a nice, uniform shape, though mine isn't very big yet. I do love ET's color in spring and fall, but not in summer. I hope things improve with TZ's color. Diane

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 1:12AM
desertgarden561- Las Vegas Z9a

Nanadoll,

The image is Ebb Tide and a new plant. I think maturity can impact blooms. I had not walked the front yard for three days, so this may not have been a super fresh bloom, however, it was not raggedy.

Soil composition may also impact coloration. I will try to post the next blooms of both Ebb Tide and Twilight Zone immediately. TZ too is a new plant but it is loaded with buds, some have opened, some had not.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:26

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:17AM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

I'm sorry I got the pic mixed up. If that is Ebb Tide, it is looking more like mine do in the summer. I'm hoping you get some really dark blooms. ET and Twilight Zone have pretty much the same color in spring and fall, but ET fades out in summer up here. I remember it was worse when the plants were really young. Keep us posted. Diane

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 8:25PM
desertgarden561- Las Vegas Z9a

Diane,

Will do. I certainly hope the difference in coloration is due to the plant being immature. The summers here are like hades, the trade off is a comfortable climate most months of the year. We have had sunny blue skies and daytime highs in the 70's since February, which is quite ideal for roses.

Lynn

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Heirloom roses website
Hi, I've been trying to order roses from the Heirloom...
bellarosa
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
bart_2010
Fortuniana grafted roses
If you can grow rose's that are grafted onto fortuniana...
Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™