Coneflowers and mildew/mold

doughMarch 31, 2012

I love coneflowers and have about 8 in my front flower bed that faces the SE.This spot gets full sun from sun up to sun down. Every year I struggle with them due to a powdery mildew that develops on the leaves and stems. Is there anything that I can use to prevent this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

baking soda and water..

or a bunch of other ways ... you might try the GW search function ....

and make sure you are not wetting the plants late in the evening.. dry plants.. in full sun.. should not get mildew ...

ken

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 4:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
victorine72(7a)

I'm a big fan of Neem oil. I've never seen mildew on my coneflowers, but our winter was so mild this year, I've been seeing it elsewhere for the last month already. Neem oil is primarily used as an insecticide/miticide, but it also has fungicidal properties. It's pretty much the only garden "chemical" I use because it's so effective against a broad spectrum of common garden issues-- plus it's organic.

You can find pre-mixed bottles of neem oil spray at just about any garden center, but they're a bit pricey. I use so much of it, I buy the pure oil and mix it myself-- 2Tbsp oil with 1Tbsp of old-school Dawn dish liquid in a one gallon pump sprayer. I say try a bottle of pre-mix, and if it works for you look into buying some pure oil. I buy it by the gallon from a website called organeem.com. One gallon usually lasts me at least a season, but it's the best price+shipping cost I could find.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Growing Yucca in container?
I seem to remember a member mentioning they were experimenting...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™