Need help identifying this pine tree-like multi-trunk shrub

agurkas(5)August 3, 2014

So I have this 10' tall shrub/tree in front of my driveway and I either move it or get rid of it, since my wife really hates how it blocks view of our daughter's play yard.

What is this shrub/tree and how "movable" is it? If it has deep roots, I probably need to get rid of it. There are so many rocks in our soil, it is absolute hell even digging 3 foot deep ditch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

It looks to be one of the mugos neglected for a couple of decades. Cut the ropes and cut it down to the ground or you'll have something akin to the ex-planet Pluto to contend with.

It won't regenerate - you've got no needles beneath the rope line to work with... in the event you considered it. If you don't need the space to plant something else, I wouldn't bother trying to dig it out. A hand ax will take out what's left of the branch stumps a bit below ground level.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

not worth moving.. kill it ...

if you cut it to the ground.. it will be dead.. dont even need to treat the stump with killer...

i see enough space in the pic.. to find it hard to believe.. that you would need to plant something directly in that spot ... just move over a foot or two.. in either direction ...

your odds of success are under 25% .. so why waste 8 or 10 hours of digging??

and its surely not worth a couple hundred dollars to hire a tree spade ...

ken

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™