Help id a shrub, please?

thedogsLL(6B)August 10, 2014

Hi, everyone. I'm trying, after 15 years, to actually "plan" my back yard, and make some sense of it. This shrub is one that is thriving, in spite of the fact that hubby and I have done some almost criminal pruning. It always comes back. I have long ago lost any memory of its name, and would like to be able to learn more about it. This photo is of fairly new leaves.

They start out creamy yellow, and the dark green starts at the center, and gradually spreads out until the whole leaf is dark green. You can see mature leaves behind and below the twig I'm holding. It has small white flowers in clusters shaped like grape clusters, and they are somewhat fragrant, especially early in the day. It also has black berries that birds don't seem to be crazy about. Does anyone know what it is?
Lynn T

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Variegated Privet. Ligustrum.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 8:41AM
thedogsLL(6B)

Thank you, floral. I looked at that one, but the variegated part only lasts a few days to a week. I'll get a photo of the mature leaves only tomorrow - no time now, off to the other job! :)
Lynn T

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:36PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I can see all green leaves on branches below. Variegated privet can produce all green foliage and those branches need to be cut out to keep the whole plant variegated. Variegation can also fade in excess shade. I feel pretty secure on the id. Perhaps you'd like to post on the Name That Plant Forum, here on GW, for a second opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant Forum

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 6:36AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You are also describing the flowers and berries of 'privet', too.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 4:44PM
thedogsLL(6B)

Actually, no, now that the solid leaves are explained, I'm happy, LOL! I didn't mean to sound contradictory - it's just that after the first spring growth I've only seen it solid for years. I didn't know that the variegated part could last. Thank you, both!

So now I get to learn how to go about cutting it back to make it variegated again. That's really pretty, and I think I'll like it a lot more. One last question, if I may? Being just a bit north of Boston, am I better off leaving it alone till spring?

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 8:01PM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

the accepted wisdom is 'yes, wait til e. spring' but I always whack WHEN I can.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton-Arbo retum ; free; open 24/7 to the public

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™