Columbines blooming?

Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7bMarch 25, 2012

I am in zone 7b., NC. I planted my columbine seeds in Sept or Oct last year. I have tons of green. I know they bloom biannually....but will this year be considered the second year, or will I have to wait until 2013? I figure they have been in the ground for 150-180 days now. Our area almost skipped winter, too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

If planted early enough, columbines will bloom their first year from seed. Typically, established plants will self-seed freely and produce flowering plants the next season. Since they tend not to be a very long-lived perennial, that's a good thing as they continually produce replacements if you do not deadhead. The plants are quite promiscuous however and will cross pollinate with each other wildly so be prepared to to enjoy offspring that do not necessarily resemble their parents.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 5:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b

Thanks! Mine seem to be about the same height as ones I saw at Home Depot, so I hope that means they will. I am fine with different colors...they all seem pretty! Thanks for the reminder to not deadhead.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
daves10
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
How about 'SUPERthrive'?
Anybody use this stuff? I bought it but not sure if...
casi
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™