weird weeping after pruning

hobbitmomMarch 16, 2014

I pruned my roses about a week ago, and now Im noticing that the cut edges are weeping a weird yellow goo. Ugh. Is this good? or bad. Not ever seen it before. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I have never seen it happen on our type of roses we grow BUT our Dogwood bushes weep/seep after being pruned and it doesn't hurt them a bit...

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 10:00AM
nikthegreek(9b/10a E of Athens)

Weeping when pruned is a sign that the plant was not dormant when pruned, i.e. it's juices were flowing. There are those that advocate pruning to be done when a plant is dormant (talking about plants that go into dormancy) and those that advocate that pruning is better done when a plant starts to wake from dormancy since the juice flowing helps with faster wound healing. I've seen nothing to suggest that in roses one is a particularly better practice than the other.
Nik

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 10:10AM
Campanula UK Z8

Some plants, such as birch trees, grapevines, can 'bleed' profusely when pruned because the sap is rising under considerable internal capillary pressure. I would imagine that, as Nik says, this is sap, rising up through the vascular system....but should not be problematic for your roses.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 5:54PM
seil zone 6b MI

I always prune when the roses just start to wake up and I've never seen this happen before. Could be due to the unusual winter everyone's had. I'll have to pay close attention when I prune and see if I notice this. But, sadly, that won't be for a while yet.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 6:05PM
nikthegreek(9b/10a E of Athens)

I've seen sap flowing from roses after pruning more than once. The plant should be fully awake and the cane thick and green in order for this 'weeping' to be very noticeable. As Camps mentioned this is very noticeable in grapevines if pruned when they have come out of dormancy and it can take days for the sap to stop flowing.
Nik

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:12AM
More Discussions
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Photo-Cl. Butterscotch
This is a test to see if I can post on Houzz. A favorite...
James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™