Heavy Yews Pruning

zooba72August 30, 2012

Hello Everyone,

The front of my home has a large hedge of Yews that have been neglected and are now overgrown and ugly. Before I remove them, I want to give them a shot a rejuvenation. I'm planning on taking them from about 5FT to about 2FT. My question, do I need to wait until February/March to do this? or can I do this in the late fall? Most of what I read recommend the early Spring.

I would prefer the fall as I have a lot of stuff to chip up and want to add the Yews branches.

Thanks in advance !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would just get rid of them ...

they are bare in the middle .. when you give them the crew cut.. they will still be dead in the middle.. with green all around.. like a tonsure haircut [never got to use that in a post before.. lol]

though they should be able to rebud and fill in ... i might suspect.. it might take 3 to 5 years .. or longer ...

if you were to dispose of them now.. you could plant new things in the proper planting season for your area.. and be all set at start of next spring ...

otherwise... you will probably be wasting a whole year.. ...

its not about what can be done.. its about how it will look.. and whether you will be able to stand it..

i like to say.. if it were out back on my 5 acres.. i would mess around with it ... but this is the front of your house.. and presumably.. not the spot of a long term reclamation project.. 99 out of 100 times ...

be done with them.. [unless you post a pic.. and i change my mind.. lol]

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™