Spacing for Dwarf Korean Lilacs

bobby_c(z7 DC)August 9, 2010

Hi,

I'm thinking of using Dwarf Korean Lilacs as foundation plants this autumn but am not sure how to space them. I'm curious of spacing between them and the distance from the house.

Thanks!

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

All the literature says they're spreading plants with a mature height of 4-5' with a similar width. Let that be your guide. So, at least 5' out from the house and the same or greater distance apart if you want each plant to maintain its individuality. Plant closer together if you're wanting them to knit together for a hedge look.

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 12:49PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

it would also depend on whether you need access to say .. a wooden house for painting.. or other maintenance..

do understand.. that foundation plantings are planted to HIDE the foundation.. not ON THE FOUNDATION ....

i used to like at least a 3 foot space next to my brick houses .. just to be able to move around back there for window cleaning... trim painting.. etc ....

in trees and conifers.. most size estimates are at 10 years ... and frankly .. they keep growing thereafter .. forever .... i am not sure any shrub actually stops getting bigger .... its just a matter of how long it takes to get to the given size.. and where they go after that ...

try google IMAGES for pix of the plants you are interested in .... for what the future might be ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 1:48PM
bobby_c(z7 DC)

Thanks all - great suggestions!

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 1:56PM
jazzygardener(z4 MN)

I have 5 Miss Kim dwarf Korean lilacs that didn't maintain a dwarf size. The tag said that they would stay at 5 ft max but, if I don't trim them back they would easily be over 6ft. They're also almost as wide as they are tall making them hard to prune. I'm planning on moving these to an area where they can grow as big as they like. Has anyone else had this problem?

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™