Deutzia alternatives?

danell(7)September 2, 2010

Greetings, I was thinking of using Salix Purpurea ÂCanyon Blue Dwarf Arctic Willow as a transition between conifers and deciduous trees but then I came across Deutzia which is reported to be best used among conifers . . . but it only blooms for two weeks. That's a short time for a plant to take up room the rest of the year. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Shrubby cinquefoil, if long bloom is the priority.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 11:37AM
danell(7)

Oh my Gosh, bboy you are everywhere! (Chuckle) Perhaps you should come down here and just design my yard for me.
Thanks for the info on Shrubby cinquefoil, I'll research it some more after I get off work.

I think I've decided on Lagerstromeia 'Tuskegee' for the deciduous trees. What do you think would be best between these and the conifers, Deutzia or Cinequefoil? Duetzia I understand has nice Fall foliage and just blends in when not in bloom during Spring and Summer. Danka'

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 2:05PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Hot location needed for crape myrtles, don't remember what your situation is.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 7:47PM
danell(7)

West facing yard with loads of sun, temperatures in the 90s and triple digits in summer, clay soil, Ph 7-7.5.

I'm still looking for other trees but so far the Crape Myrtle is the best candidate in terms of size, litter, canopy, other.

I need a shrub about 3-4 wide (possibly 5 but pushing it) that will look good and serve as a transistion between 'Tuskegee' and conifers (Emerald Green, Holmstrup, Golden Mop).

Ahh, the weekend and four days to play - Yipeee!!

Probably should have posted as "Shrub needed..." rather than "Deutzia alternative"

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™