Teas That Max Out at 7' in Width or Less?

ArbutusOmnedo 10/24April 27, 2014

I'm sure microclimate and the quality of the plant to begin with have impact on long term size, but what teas will generally max out around 6.5'-7' in width or less?

As a class that resents pruning, I don't want to force a tea into a slot by regular trimming once mature. I've heard Mrs. Melanie Willermoz is smaller. Safrano is often pictured as a more compact tea. Westside Road Cream Tea is reputedly smaller. Lady Hillingdon apparently can take mild pruning.

What are your experiences with the more modestly sized teas? I'm not looking for truly compact roses, but interested in knowing which teas are generally smaller than the 'B.R. Cant types.'

Perhaps it would also be worthwhile knowing which teas are more vertically inclined than spreading. Aside from the climbing teas that is. I understand that Rosette Delizy would fall in this group?

Coastal, mild zone 10 here. Thanks for your insights.

Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I'm sure some people on this forum can answer your questions (sorry, I can't), but let me suggest that you will get quicker and more answers if you ask these questions over on the Antique Rose Forum. : )

Kate

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 11:30AM
jaspermplants

Mme Bravy is a small tea but probably available only as a band. Lady Hillingdon is smallish for me also. Hmm, what else...Catharine Mermet is not a huge tea, gets tallish but not that wide. My Souvenir de Pierre Notting is not huge, again, tall but fairly slender.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 2:00PM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I think quite a number of teas can be kept between 6 and 7 feet once they're mature even if they have the capability to grow much larger. I cut mine back when they encroach too much on each other and it doesn't seem to hurt them a bit. You just have to be sure that they're 4-5 years old before you trim them. When they're young they need all the branches and leaves they can get. Later on they can withstand being cut back, which isn't really pruning, just a shortening of their width.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 8:50PM
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24

Thanks for the answers so far. I thought I had posted it in the Antique Rose Forum, Kate, but I obviously didn't! I'll copy it over soon.

Jay

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Posy Parade!
My garden is in full spring bloom so my kitchen table...
SoFL Rose z10
Growing roses indoors in winter with very little light
I've read many sources here where people stated that...
braverichard zone 6
Looking forward to SPRING FLUSH!
The past couple of weeks my rose bushes have begun...
sara_ann-z6bok
Any hope for my "One Cane Wonder" Firefighter?
Is there any hope that a "One Cane Wonder"...
sara_ann-z6bok
Zone 5 Rose Gardeners "What's Your Favorite Rose'?
Please share your favorite rose. Which one do you...
allaboutrosegardening
Sponsored Products
Surfer Blue Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
New Red & Ivory 5' X 8' Persian Oriental Kazak Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H3406
BH Sun Inc
Ash Carl 'Cloudy Sunset' 7-piece Metal Wall Art Set
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Huntington Basket
Serena & Lily
Tricorn Black Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Lattice Satin Black Five LED-Light Wall Sconce/Bath Fixture with Clear Crystal S
$630.00 | Bellacor
Dunn Leather Chair - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Nesting Basket Set
$37.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™