montauk daisy

shiane(z7 NY)March 25, 2007

After blooming in the Fall I haven't done anything to my montauk daisies. Should I trim them back now? They do look ugly but are showing new leaf growth along the stems. I know I should cut them down about half on June 1 but what about now? And how short should they be cut down after blooming (like on Dec. 1)? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hunt4carl

Brutal pruning is the key, if you want bushy, not floppy, Nipponanthemum nipponicums (try rolling that new $50 name off your tongue in a hurry!). . .for years, I would cut them back by half, and by season's end they were 4-foot tall and sprawling all over their neighbors. . .

Then a friend showed me how to cut them way back in early
Spring (leave them up over winter) to no more than six inches -yes, you'll be cutting off stems wth lots of little emerging leaves - not to worry, more (less leggy)
will follow. Now, continue pinching off the tips of new
stem growth whenever it is 3 inches to 5 inches long up
until mid-July (it's the same regimen you use with all the members of the "former" chrysanthemum family). It's also
a good idea to divide these plants about every three years
because they can get really massive!

Carl

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 11:25PM
shiane(z7 NY)

Thanks Carl, that was great. I will cut them back tomorrow!
Shiane

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 8:58PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

I have tons of them and I cut them back really hard in December and then not quite as hard in June but harder than regular mums. They really put on a display of beautiful daisies in the Fall, if you prune them right. Good luck

Carrie

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 11:23PM
davidinma

Carl and Carrie, great information. I found an orphan just sitting in a pot about 3 years ago in front of someones house for the trashman. It was only 3 inches and a single stem. Now it is beautiful and huge. I found the heavy prune in Spring is the best. But now I want to know about dividing. Any suggestions? Is Fall an ok time? And any suggestions or caution in doing so? Thanks, David in Massachusetts.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 3:33PM
nails_2008

Hi...I believe the rule of thumb is to divide fall blooming perennials in the spring.

Bookmark   November 15, 2008 at 8:46PM
lagrangeny(z6 NY)

The nice lady from Jersey sent me this advice :

"...As for the Montauk Daisy (one of my favorite perennials) - I find mine do best when I follow the simple advice to cut them back by at least 1/2 twice a year: December 1 and June 1. If you want more Montauk Daisies, you will probably have great success rooting those June 1 cuttings - just stick them in pots of starting medium, set them in dappled shade, and keep moist until they've struck roots; at that point you can move them out to full sun. Keep them well watered their first summer, after which they'll be established well enough to thrive in a rather dry soil. They will probably bloom for you the first fall...."

I already hacked mine back (December 1 session) for 2008...will re-hack on/about June 1 of 2009...

....and I'll try to root the cuttings too !

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

LaGrange NY

Bookmark   November 21, 2008 at 9:21PM
betsy1500

Hi,
Does anyone know if these will be appetizers for the deer?...I planted several on the property last Fall and was wondering if I need to start spraying them with deer repellant...Thanks for any help.
Betsy

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 9:22AM
gazania_gw

Deer frequent my yard as do rabbits. Every year, the new tender foliage of the Montauk is nibbled back. I am not positive who is doing the munching, but it comes at a time when I would normally pinch it back anyway in an effort to keep the plant more compact and less likly to flop at full growth. I let the amimal do it's thing, then spray a repellant on the new growth a couple times till growth is mature. After that nothing seems to bother it. I am more inclined to pin the munching on young rabbits rather than deer.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 11:22AM
lynne_123

I missed the window! I thought I was supposed to prune in July not June. Is it too late to prune my now 3' high Montauk Daisies?

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 10:15AM
carrie630(z7bNC)

I would prune them, I think it is okay.... They are like mums, if there are no buds forming, I think they will be fine...

You have nothing to "lose" because they are fall blooming and will probably grow too tall and flop if you don't prune them down a bit right now.

Good luck - let us know

Carrie

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 2:52PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Thanks Carrie, and lynne. I forgot to cut mine back too. I just realized it this morning as I caught sight of them.

I will cut them back this afternoon.

:)
Dee

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 2:59PM
lotzmoore1292_yahoo_com

I'll have to remove my montauk daisy plant and transplant it. When is the best time to take it out of the ground and transplat?

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 2:12PM
piamachi_yahoo_com

I'm thinking about starting with three plants in a seaside area with a fair amount of wind, not much rain[but lots of fog], intense Summer sun, sandy soil with rabbits and deer lurking in the wings. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
Please tell me about baptisia?
I've occasionally seen these plants in local gardens,...
twrosz
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
E-mail from GW?
Did anyone else get an e-mail that was supposedly generated...
mxk3
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
daves10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™