Viburnum blooms

mblanchardSeptember 25, 2011

Dear GardenWeb Members,

I recently found this forum and very glad I did! Sometimes I really feel all "at sea" in the garden!

I have several leather leaf viburnum that bud but never flower. Also, a doublefile viburnum flowered a little about 2 years ago but not since. Unfortunately our soil is very "clayey" and doesn't drain well. I've cut back tree branches to provide more sun. Perhaps that will help next year.

What else can I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

they prefer full blasting sun .. how much sun are they actually getting ....

bloom is often associated with not enough sun ... if that is the root problem.. then there is nothing else you can do but move them ... you just cant make up for darkness ...

even if this particular version is supposed to be shade TOLERANT... shade is very hard to quantify ....

what, if any fertilizer are you adding.. excess nitro can also cause problems ...

ken

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 9:28AM
smivies

They bud but don't flower? Are they actually forming flower buds in fall that are a)don't open in spring or b)disappear over winter?
If b) is occurring, you might want to check on the wildlife. I had squirrels systematically remove every single unopened V. carlesii bud between February and March for 5 year in a row. They never touched the V. farreri though. Plant is much bigger now and there are fewer squirrels so I finally get flowers.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 2:02PM
mblanchard

Thanks for getting back to me! To answer your questions:

The bushes are in 2 locations, both have a southern exposure and receive full sun part of the day. For the first time this year I watered once with Miracle Grow in the hope this would help. Nothing.

Secondly there are flower buds, like now in September, that never open in the spring. My dog keeps squirrel activity to a minimum.
Thanks!

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Help me choose a hedge!
I need to plant a privacy hedge in my front yard (we...
glitzalicious
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™