Shasta Viburnum Spacing

organicjoSeptember 16, 2010

I rather impulsively purchased 3 shasta viburnums (5 gallon pots) to plant along a fence as a screen/hedge thinking that they would nicely fill in about a 20 foot length of fence. The tag at the nursery identified the shasta as having a mature size of 6' x 6'... sounded like it would fit well and since I love doublefiles, I was excited that I'd found something that would work for that spot. Well, after looking around online I see that the shasta will actually get much wider, more like 10-12' wide. I think I knew this at one time and that is why I had crossed it off my list, I just got excited when I saw 6' x 6'. I am now worried that I don't have the space for these and am frustrated because I feel like I was misled by the tag.

So, here's my question... can I squeeze all 3 of them in anyway? Should I just plant 2 of them maybe 6 or 8 feet apart? Just plant 1 and then get something else to fill in around it? I really want to screen the neighbor's yard, and I want the entire space filled, but don't want to crowd them too much (or the trees that they will be between). What is proper spacing for something like this when you want it to serve as a sort of hedge/screen?

Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

As always, how big depends on how long they have been in place, how well they did in that spot etc. If you arrange as a drift instead of spaced out separate accent points then you won't have to worry about how close they are. The three of them becomes the unit instead of each. Plantings composed of drifts have movement, appear to flow - unlike widely spaced separate specimens, which appear static and stiff.

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 10:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny12

Shasta viburnums get at least 12' tall and 12'wide, side to side and front to back. They take up a lot of room. One is plenty for your spot. If you crowd them, they will lose one of their best features, the layered effect of the horizontal branches.

You will have to plant it far out from the fence to allow for its growth in that direction.

Shastas are not good hedge plants unless you are talking about a very, very large space. But they are gorgeous shrubs and well worth having.

Why not give the others as presents to someone who can use them if you don't have other places to plant the other two?

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Need advice on planting rest of a hedge
I planted a row of Ficus Nitida along the side of my...
allergyvictim
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Butterfly bush blooming too soon
We've had some unseasonably warm weather recently and...
carla1
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™