weigela transplanting question?

pattio2(z4b - ON)September 17, 2007

I have a small weigela with pink flowers that has been in my garden for 5 years. It has only grown 1 ft. high in that time so I think it must be a miniature type. I want to transplant it to a sunnier location because several surrounding shrubs have grown taller and are shading it. When is the best time to transplant, fall or spring? Will it be happy in a full sun hot and possibly dry location? Any special considerations when transplanting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in my zone 5 ... as soon as it losses its leaves.. or in spring as soon as the ground thaws ....

look in the white pages under ON government.. for any type of Agricultural/forestry/soil conservation office.. and give them a call for info more specific to your area .. if you dont get a specific answer here.. ken

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 4:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

Don't know about your specific cultivar, but my full-sized red weigela is in full sun and is very happy; it got plenty of water for the first year or 2 after planting, and now requires none. It blooms off and on all summer, mostly after we've had some rain.

Mine is going to be shovel-pruned soon, but not because of anything it did to deserve it, it's just to darn big.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™