weigela transplanting question?

pattio2(z4b - ON)September 17, 2007

I have a small weigela with pink flowers that has been in my garden for 5 years. It has only grown 1 ft. high in that time so I think it must be a miniature type. I want to transplant it to a sunnier location because several surrounding shrubs have grown taller and are shading it. When is the best time to transplant, fall or spring? Will it be happy in a full sun hot and possibly dry location? Any special considerations when transplanting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in my zone 5 ... as soon as it losses its leaves.. or in spring as soon as the ground thaws ....

look in the white pages under ON government.. for any type of Agricultural/forestry/soil conservation office.. and give them a call for info more specific to your area .. if you dont get a specific answer here.. ken

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 4:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

Don't know about your specific cultivar, but my full-sized red weigela is in full sun and is very happy; it got plenty of water for the first year or 2 after planting, and now requires none. It blooms off and on all summer, mostly after we've had some rain.

Mine is going to be shovel-pruned soon, but not because of anything it did to deserve it, it's just to darn big.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Loropetalum issue
Hi- I'm posting again about another shrub at our new...
hafamily5
Wax Myrtle leaves browning & spotting
I've got several wax myrtles in my back yard. A few...
bobert18
Can I shorten a 10-15 yr old Nellie Stevens Holly?
Just wondering if Nellie Stevens can withstand having...
hafamily5
Haskap
Aka, honeyberry, aka blue-fruited honeysuckle, aka...
wisconsitom
Shot hole disease- Can my laurels be saved?
I recently purchased a new home with Otto Luyken cherry...
hafamily5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™