Trimming damaged boxwoods

vintagevtSeptember 23, 2011

I realize it's not the ideal time of year to trim boxwoods, and that it's advisable not to trim them in the first few years as they get established, but Hurricane Irene did a good bit of water damage to the backside of our boxwoods we planted earlier this summer. They're planted directly in front of our house's front porch. Our porch roof couldn't drain quickly enough during the storm, and a good amount of water went over the porch roof and down the backside of these boxwoods. The front and middle of the shrubs look fine, but the backside is entirely brown and dead. Would you go ahead and trim to remove the dead, or wait until next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

can you see any buds?? ..

scratch what you think is a dead branch.. if there is green under.. there is a chance they will rebud ...

if not.. cut out the dead.. and see how they re-develop next summer ...

perhaps a picture would help ... if you cant tell ...

all that said.. perhaps they are a bit too close to the house???? .. on the other hand.. what are the odds of another hurricane????

ken

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 6:34PM
vintagevt

They're about 3 ft from the basement wall. The porch roof overhangs the porch by a good bit. Good for sitting on the porch in bad weather, apparently bad for the boxwoods. :P The boxwoods (1 ft. diameter?) are still small, since we just planted them this year. Too close to the house?

We generally have black thumbs. Example, we planted 2 Karl Foersters in our backyard this year, one died, the other only grew up maybe 2.5 feet or so? Not what we were going for. :(

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 8:16PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the other only grew up maybe 2.5 feet or so? Not what we were going for.

===>>> if it lived.. then you win on that one... but you have to get over having expectations of it not growing fast enough ...

it can take up to 3 years.. for a new planting to grow the roots to start growing explosively ....

you problem in regard to this one.. is not the plant.. but your high expectations ...

who knows why the other died ... lets claim it was poor stock.. lol ...

any chance at a pic on the boxwoods???

but again.. they are alive ... you had a 100 year storm.. stuff happens .... you cant really attribute a hurricane to your black thumb????

did you do the scratch test??? see below ...

the first lesson to learn on your way to a green thumb ...

if it lives.. good enough ...

second rule

set aside 'your' expectations.. and let a living plant do its thing ...

third rule

once you establish that a branch is dead.. remove it PROPERLY .... [but its fall ... so it might not be dead ... and that is what we are trying to figure out]

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™