Onion scraps in compost?

mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)February 23, 2009

I have read somewhere not to compost onion peelings - can't remember why it was discouraged. Other places I see people mentioning they add onion scraps. What say you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
takadi(7)

If you can't compost it, it's probably poisonous, nuclear reactive, or an inconvenience due to pests and such. You might be getting confused with advice for vermicompost, as it is said that worms don't like alliums. I've never had any trouble however

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 12:21PM
Lloyd

"it's probably poisonous, nuclear reactive, or an inconvenience"

I made a supper like that once!

:-)

They (onion scraps) take a while to break down, but they eventually break down. I throw them in.

Lloyd

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 12:26PM
joebob

I turned my pile this weekend and came across something that smelled to high heaven ----feces like !!!---

Turned out to be a partially decomposed onion---my 16 yr old son helping me turn the pile got a kick out of it ----"Dad----did you take a dump in your pile ???!!!"--:)

I had to reassure him I had not gone that far off the deep end ......yet -----

Anyway ---they will decompose but will smell pretty nasty for a while ---keep 'emm covered-------

JB

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 12:59PM
mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)

Well, I do not have a worm bin, except for whatever critters might find their way to the compost. So I won't fret if hubby tosses the onion scraps in the bin. He uses the majority of the onion while cooking so hopefully I will not have the same experience as Joebob!

Rachel

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 1:25PM
Lloyd

I wanna know how the heck Joe got a 16 Y/O to help him?

That would be something to know and should be put in the FAQs!

Lloyd

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 1:33PM
leira(6 MA)

I have successfully composted onions and other alliums in both traditional and vermicomposting systems. When I'm feeling virtuous, I make a point of cutting them up small before tossing them in, but sometimes I'm lazy. They've never failed to compost.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 1:50PM
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

I've added whole onions that start to mold in the cupboard and haven't had a problem w/ them. Occasionally I put in a rotten orange w/ out breaking it up and they will still be around after 2 or 3 turns, very moldy, but don't really do well till they get stomped, or chopped w/ a shovel. The onions on the other hand, I haven't even seen.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 4:56PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

A very simple rule about what can go into the compost is if you could eat it you can compost it, plus a lot of vegetative material that you would not eat can be composted.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 7:30PM
kiddo_1(NE OH 5)

Lloyd, I made a supper like that once! ROFL

Actually, I'm sorta convinced that onion scraps help keep some of the critters out of my CP.

Kris

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 8:04PM
ajpa(z6 se PA)

I use a lot of onions & garlic in cooking so they go in the compost bin. Which my 7yo said "smells good", remember?
:D

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 9:55AM
luckygal(3b)

"Actually, I'm sorta convinced that onion scraps help keep some of the critters out of my CP."

That might be why we've never had a problem with critters in our compost - we eat a lot of onions and garlic.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 11:29AM
cali1023

Onions and their friends garlic, shallots and leeks all grow underground as bulbs (they're part of the lily family). They have naturally occurring compounds that stave off bacteria and fungi, which helps them survive for a long time underground. Therefore, they aren't the most easily compostable thing in your kitchen...I think the onion has to be very old and "weak" before the bacteria/fungi can win the fight and chomp it up. Onions will compost, it takes longer than it takes a banana peel.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 12:28AM
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

I've noticed that onions stick around forever in my compost pile. I assumed it was because they thrive underground so it's like a natuarl growing environment for them.

I've even had growth in some dried up green onions I threw in. The roots actually grew and the stalks turned green again.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 9:46PM
dipsandtets

Came across this -
http://www.terawarner.com/blog/2011/08/an-easy-guide-to-composting/

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
Idea for high moisture woody debris compost heap
I got some branches recently in someone's yardwaste...
irjowo99
Need alternative nitrogen source
Ok, here goes. Don't laugh if I sound stupid. Or...
ernie85017
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary Cotterill
Soil Test Report questions-please help.
Hello all you kind folks on this site. I have received...
allyn12
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™