Fern-leaf peony

babera(5a (Montana))April 22, 2014

I know there's a peony forum. . . which I will also post on. I'm just so thrilled I finally found one. They are usually sold out on line, IF I'm lucky enough to find a seller.

The owner of the nursery said it would probably bloom this year. It's a 2 year old plant so I'm hopeful.

He (the owner) wasn't real clear on planting it, other than he did say to place it on top of a crown (raised hump in the center of the hole) and he looked at me kind of funny when I asked him if they had eyes like the more common ones.

Does anyone have these? if so any advise on planting them would be helpful..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Install it the same as any other peony - aim for plant depth in the hole so that the eyes, or buds are no more than 1 or 2 inches below the soil surface.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 10:53AM
SunnyBorders(5A)

Bought my first fern-leaf peony ('Itoba') a week ago at Mori Nurseries in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

As per Morz, have planted it like any other peony, except for the location (in this case at the front of a border).

Mine has two buds, formerly presumably eyes, and (just from reading) it looks like flowering may be delayed a year because of the spring planting. Still it was half price.

Below, my inspiration to buy that plant. Picture: May 9, 2013 at the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens (Canadian side). This plant is labelled as the species.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 11:14AM
flowergirl70ks

Mine will be blooming tomorrow, it was dug up at an old abandoned farmhouse in Gillette,Wy. I love it. I could probably share some if anyone wants some. Mine has a different leaf than the one in the pic above.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 9:13PM
babera(5a (Montana))

Well, the pot (1 gallon) that is in, was the one they wintered it in as well, so I guess I will just put it in the ground so it sets the same height as it is in the pot. There is new growth right at the soil line so I will use that as my guide. . .

Flowergirl, what a wonderful find. Chance are its probably quite old.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 10:43PM
amberdim

Hello. I,m just wondering what,s so special about those peonies? They are sold in our local garden center and go for $89.99....

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 11:03PM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

I didn't like the one I had. The blooms were kind of ugly (they were small and a deep nondescript red), which I could have dealt with, but the foliage didn't do anything for me. I like ferny foliage, but this one just blended into the background and was super-blah. Maybe if I would have had a bigger plant (like the one in the pic above) it would have been a different story, but as it stands, I don't miss it one bit (has long been shovel-pruned).

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 3:11PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

"Hello. I,m just wondering what,s so special about those peonies? "

They have a fern-like leaf.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Hey, I just remember I have...
globeflower! Totally forgot I have these, I was typing...
mxk3
Trying any new perennials this year?
Just wondering what new perenniaks everyone is trying...
bellarosa
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™