question on electric hedge trimmer

exmarJanuary 29, 2011

Hi Folks,

The front of my property has a 5 strand barb wire fence (left over from when this was a pasture/hayfield when I was a kid) and is about a quarter mile long, at least where the yard is. The other side of the fence is the side of a county road and is brush, etc and the honeysuckle, blackberry, locust etc. keep growing through. I've chopped, etc. it down a couple of times since building the house here 10 years ago. Time to do it again or I'll be mowing the grass 4-6 feet away from the fence.

I have never used and know nothing about hedge trimmers. Was wondering if an electric unit could be used to cut back this invasion? I have large lopping shears, axes, chain saws, etc. for the large stuff (which there shouldn't be too much of). Power would be provided by a 3250W generator in a trailer behind one of the tractors.

I'm thinking of electric due to cost over the gas units. Also don't want another 2 cycle engine which only gets run every 3-4 years. Some of the "best picks" out there seem to be in the $60-70 price range with 2 year warranties. This is very enticing when compared to doing it by hand.

Again, know nothing about these units, how large a branch will they cut? Would tackling something this large even doing only the small stuff kill the machine?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

I think the most important thing to look for is the size of branch the trimmer can handle. The price goes up with the size. I didn't know this when I bought my trimmer and I ended up with one much smaller than I need. I won't do that again.

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 9:41AM
exmar

Just ordered a B&D HT018 from Amazon. It's an 18", dual action, 5/8" cut and has a lot of very favorable reviews. For my application, the 18" blade should work fine. Two year warranty, and it's only $48.92 delivered.

If I was routinely trimming hedges, think I'd have gone with something with a longer blade.

Thanks for the input,

Ev

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 4:34PM
JohnII

A B&D corded hedge trimmer is a good choice. I have had my HT012 for 2-3 years now and had absolutely no problems with it. I preferred the 22" because it requires a little less work on my part.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Reciprocating Saw
I am looking to buy a reciprocating saw. I am not looking...
pirate94
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™