Do I need to add soil to compost bin?

jctsai8b(8B)February 28, 2014

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LoneCowboy(8)

No not at all. If you were going to add any "SOIL" I would only add a scoop of a previously composted amendment that contains "mycorrhiza" per the label. Otherwise just add dried mulched leaves :)

This post was edited by LoneCowboy on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 14:48

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 2:45PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

We just had a discussion on this topic and a wide variety of opinions were expressed but no there is no reason to add soil to the compost material.
Once it was thought that putting good, rich soil on the material to be composted would add the bacteria that would digest that material. Today we know that all of the material we put into be composted already has the bacteria that will digest them in place, that is why the foods left out develop the fuzzy stuff on them.
Mycorrhiza refers to a relationship some fungi have with plants and not to any specific fungi. That relationship is most often symbiotic, mutually beneficial, in that the fungi get sugars from the plant in exchange to providing necessary nutrients to the plant. Mycorrhiza is not a specific fungi that you can add to soil or compost no matter what the sellers of products may tell you. Each plant develops this relationship with different fungi.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 6:42AM
bluegoat_gw(Zone 3b)

Yes, the addition of soil or clay to compost produces a superior product - higher CEC and better water retaining capacity. The addition of 5% to 10% soil or clay slurry will wet the material better than just water during composting and produces a compost with a better clay-crumb structure. This type of compost is sometimes referred to as humified compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Humus Theories

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 11:27AM
Lloyd

I think some people are missing the word need in the OP's question.

The correct answer is no. You certainly may, but it is not needed.

Lloyd

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 3:42PM
elisa_z5

I don't know how to link a thread, so I pulled up the recent discussion on this topic. Lots of info in the discussion.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 5:20PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

I don't go far to put my compost into my garden beds, so I take advantage of the gophers' hard work and scoop up the mounds of clay soil I find that they have very nicely chewed up into a fine blend and add that to the compost!
It works out perfectly! Compost/soil added to the tops of the, beds, lightly tilled in , no worm kill that I can see!
But, for the most part, it's not necessary ! Nancy

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 9:24PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Sir Albert Howards original Indore recipe for composting was 6 inches of vegetative waste, 2 inches of animal manure and 1/8 inch of good rich soil (to get the bacteria necessary to digest the material into the mix). Later research, in the 1950's, showed that the materials being composted already had the bacteria that would be digesting them and soil was not necessary to the composting process. Many of us found that to be true when we stopped adding soil to our compost piles and the digestion process worked just as well without that soil.
If someone likes the extra work involved in digging soil up to add to the compost pile they can do that, as long as they understand it will do little for the process.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 6:41AM
farmerkevin(USDA 9)

Only soil added to my compost is when I add weeds that I pulled. Sometimes some soil hangs on to the roots.

But I don't actively add soil to my pile.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Hand crank or battery grinder/ chipper for the garden?
Good morning all. I'm new to these forums and have...
rhoder551
Can I use Miracle Gro Garden Soil by itself ?
I just bought Miracle Gro Garden Soil with some bags...
maximus2015
Use of cut straw for weed barrier
Good Evening! I wanted to get a jump on weed suppression...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
Hijack this thread like you're Annpat
So, I was walking by my compost pile the other day...
madmagic
Can burned cow manure be used as fertilizer?
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and am starting out with...
sally2_gw
Sponsored Products
Gavin Bejeweled Crab Box - MULTI COLORS
$850.00 | Horchow
Urban Living Series 6 Foot Package - Option 7
Wine Cellar Innovations
Wooden 6 Piece White Bathroom Accessory Set,
TheBathOutlet
Alabaster Rocks! Fluorescent Framed Square Four-Sided 1000 Lumen LED Wall Sconce
$268.95 | Bellacor
Bin 1-lt Pendant
LBC Lighting
WAC Lighting | HR-LED309-R - 3 in. LED Remodel NON-IC Housing
$153.00 | YLighting
Baffle Box 230 Thread Count Fiberbed
Overstock.com
Dyson DC56 Wood Nourish Wipes
$9.99 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™