gold mop shrub: maybe juniper; spider webs

brownsnestOctober 20, 2007

TN is suffering from a drought and our city has been restricted from watering. I am wondering if this is why I am seeing spider webs in my gold mop bushes. This is the common name, but they are evergreen, turning a slight yellow in winter, but never losing foliage. They bush out with flowing branches, looking like a MOP of greenery.

Does anyone know what to do to get rid of these spiders building webs?

Thanks,

Nan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Spiders are beneficial guys/gals for the most part. If you don't like the webs, just take a stick and destroy the web. Often the spider will move on to another place. With fall coming on fast now, some may not even build another web.

Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 9:08AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

beneficial .... they are hunting the bugs you really don't want ... destroy the spiders.. and you may have bigger problems ...

please.. let them be .... they seem more apparent in fall .. misty mornings highlight the webs.. which disappear when they dry ...

you have planted a garden to revel in mother nature.. spiders are included in such ... let them be ...

its a whole nother question if they invade your house ... lol

good luck

ken

Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 11:28AM
jeff_al

they might be the webs of spider mites and you will want to eliminate those. those are more apt to thrive in dry conditions (such a drought) and can be controlled with regular misting of water to the foliage as it interferes with the breeding cycle. if you are seeing a network of fine webbing and no(easily) visible spiders, it could be spider mites.
if they are the webs of regular garden spiders, let them be as recommended by above posters.

Here is a link that might be useful: spider mite control

Bookmark   October 22, 2007 at 11:09AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Mites make fine, close webs not likely to be noticed without looking very closely. Severe infestations may draw attention first by causing discoloration of affected plant parts, after which webbing may be discerned in places like the angles between leaf blades and leaf stalks.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 11:17PM
auhort1990(8a)

Put a white piece of paper under a branch and tap it with your hand. Then run a finger along the surface of the paper. If you get red streaks, you have spider mites.

Bookmark   October 31, 2007 at 8:37AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

This is the time of year when spiderlings make their little webs all over the place. I've been noticing them all around my home, too. There's not a thing you should do about them, as very few will survive for very long. The ones that do should be a welcome addition to the landscape.

Bookmark   October 31, 2007 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Hakuro Nishiki willow, planting near house?
Hi all, I live in Seattle and recently bought a house...
nr78
How to grow Wax leaf ligustrum taller
Hi, I think, I have these shrubs around iron and wooden...
ritholtz47
what's this on my Viburnum?
I have two otherwise healthy Viburnum 'Autumn Jazz'...
skidoo22
Best thorny shrub to plant in front of window?
I am looking to plant a thorny shrub in front of my...
Ryan Kelley
Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire Showers close to house
Would it be fine to plant Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire...
delidiva
Sponsored Products
Modern Aluminum Gold Black Hand Made Bathroom Sink
maestrobath
Neptune Fountain Wall Art
$369.00 | FRONTGATE
Asian Dragon Glass Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Bowsers Gold Series Microvelvet Piazza Dog Bed - 13944
$84.99 | Hayneedle
Bow Bronze Pendant with Italian Ice Glass
$213.40 | Bellacor
King Sassolino Sham - SEMOLINA(GOLD) (KING)
$85.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™