Yard Machines Snowblower Throws Auger Belts

purple-eagleJanuary 22, 2011

I have a YardMachines 8/26 snowblower with the 2 auger belt setup. Throws snow great until I let up on the auger handle at which time it throws the belts. If I shut the blower off before disengaging the auger it will work fine next time I start it up.

Pulleys look like they may be a tad off alignment from the engine pulleys but I see no way to realign them on the shaft. I've taken evrything apart and see no way to align them. If that is even the cause.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Please post pictures or links to pics showing the alignment problem. loger

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 1:00PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

There are steel-wire belt guides, 2 of them on a Tecumseh, that keep the belt from jumping off the top pulley. Maybe you have too much slack in the belt or don't have the top guides adjusted properly.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 6:13PM
ewalk

Purple: (I assume in the face ) lol , as Bay has advised the tension is normally the key alignment is normally preset , unless you have a bearing issue causing run-out of the pulley which can cause belt wear and eventually cause it to jump off .

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 10:12AM
purple-eagle

I know the metal guides that you are refering to. This snowblower only uses the belt cover to keep it on the drive pulley. I was surprised to see no metal guides when I puled the cover.
Belt seems to be jumping off the big auger pulley and not the engine drive pulley anyway.

The pulley (mis)alignment is just a subtle offset that is noticeable when looking straight down over pulleys. Maybe only 1/4 inch or so. Like I stated, there seems to be no way of shimming either pulley. Maybe if I loosen bolts on engine mount I can slide the engine that little bit.

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 10:05PM
JustFixit

I can't get the new replacement belts to work for very long. The belts keep coming off. I see the alignment is about a 1/4 of an inch off with the large auger pulley being to close to the engine. I separated the auger body, 3 bolts on each side of the machine and added a 1/4 inch wide large sized nut as a spacer for a shim. I bought a car belt 3L350 with no cog like the original belt I had and my test run was fine. Big storm tonight for a bigger test. Current conclusion: Bad alignment will throw the new belts and/or the new cog belts are no good.

This post was edited by JustFixit on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 18:10

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 4:19PM
JustFixit

The belt stayed on fine after snow blowing a 9in snow storm. Well, until I tried to snow blow the newspaper, but that's another story! Not to bad, delay of game 15min.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™