Variegated boxwood elegantissima

miclino(5)October 6, 2011

Saw this plant at Lowes and loved the color. However, they went on sale and were cleared out before I could even blink.

Tag says zone 6, I would say I'm in zone 5b and in a protected location this would do well. Have a small semicircular bed that this would make a nice small hedge for. Does anyone have experience with this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

True item has a dwarfish tight habit with twisting etc. of many leaves. I seldom see it offered here. I think name is often misapplied to another form with larger, more normal growth and mostly normal (flattish) leaves. This is common, sold under other names as well. I have never determined which is correct, multiple variegated forms have been named and described.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 11:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I have a variegated form that was labeled elegantissima, but doesn't have twisted leaves. It is placed in a quite sheltered position where it doesn't get winter sun and is covered with snow for most of the winter. Branches that stick out of the snow bank do get a bit of winter burn. It has survived for about 6 years now, but it hasn't grown a huge amount.

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™