Sucker or true to original plant?

vickysgardenApril 4, 2012

I received a poor speciman of a bare-root rose through mail-order this spring, but potted it in good potting soil and have been watching and watering it frequently for about a month....still no leaves coming out of the canes. Yesterday, having given up on it, was pulling it out of the soil when I noticed there was a pink shoot coming out of the buried bud union. On closer inspection, healthy white roots had been added to the old brown ones.

My question is, if the canes do not sprout leaves, is this new pink shoot growing from the bud union going to be true to the plant, or a sucker? Do suckers grow from the roots or can they grow directly from the bud union?

Thanks for any advise from you experienced rose gardeners out there!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Shoots from the bud union are of the scion, not the rootstock, although there may be a transitional zone around the bottom of the swelling where you can't be sure which it is. It's not a rare thing for all the cane stubs to die back (or suffer winter damage) and for a rose plant to regrow out of the bud union.

I am also watching a feeble, undersized new bareroot plant. A month is too soon to give up on these.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:17AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

If I'm understanding your description correctly, I'd say you have a rejuvenated plant there--the real thing! New canes grow from the bud union--in fact, you want to encourage such growth in the future to keep your plant young and thriving.

The only time you worry is if the new growth is coming from BELOW the bud union (graft). From below means it is will be whatever plant your rose was grafted to--like Dr. Huey. That you do not want.

Kate

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:18AM
jacqueline9CA

I agree with the above - you almost certainly have a rose that suffered damage, but that is now starting to grow and rejuvenate itself with new canes - congratulations! Just leave it alone except for water - don't prune it, don't move it, don't feed it until it gets more growth. As you said, it is starting to put out healthy roots, and it needs TIME to do that, before it can put out many leaves.

As stated above, a month is WAY too short a time to "give up on a rose" - if I did that, I would have to throw away 80% of my roses before they had a chance to grow! First they grow roots, and you cannot see that activity.

Jackie

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 11:15AM
altoraMA(5/6 MA)

I agree with all of the above-needs more time than a month. In any case, sounds like your rose is bouncing back.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 12:03PM
vickysgarden

Thanks so much!! I am greatly encouraged as I look out daily and see the new shoot growing. There is more color coming into some of the other plant as well. Thanks for answering my question!

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Austin roses at Whole Foods
Just returned from Whole Foods store in the New Orleans...
suebelle_neworleans
double yellow Lady Banksia
I was wondering if anyone had much experience with...
kaesgarden
For those looking for Poseidon/Novalis
Heirloom Roses has it! I was so excited when I saw...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Does anyone grow First Prize own-root?
I have seen a huge First Prize plant but don't know...
erasmus_gw
Potting Or Planting New Bare Root Roses?
In the past, I have planted most of the bare root roses...
alameda/zone 8
Sponsored Products
Lava Lite Lamps 14.5 in. Electroplasma Lamp 7295
$41.98 | Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Dhurries Dark Blue 2 ft. 5 in.
$64.97 | Home Depot
Adrienne Dark Blue Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor
Downtown II Wall Art
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
New Shirvan Collection Narrow Kazak Runner 2'x6' Hand Knotted Red Wool Rug H3720
BH Sun Inc
Le Corbusier Arm Chair Art.08
| Italy Design
Lite Source Karysa Tiffany Glass Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Carson 44 in. Signature Series Family Wind Chime - 60252
$79.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™