Cabin Fever

exmarJanuary 12, 2014

Cabin Fever must be setting in, looking for a project. Considering putting a replacement engine on an old tiller I have in the barn. Don't need another tiller, have 3 which work fine. Thinking if I do repower this one I'll sell the Mantis which I thoroughly hate! Three years old and maybe three hours run time.

Anyway, looking at Powerhorse and Predator engines, Harborfreight and Northern, not necessarily in that order.

Anyone know anything about them other than they're Chinese? Predator is currently on sale for $97.99 + $6.99 shipping if I read the ad correctly.

C'mon Spring!!!

Ev

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

The mantis is a boy so don't expect it to do a man's job like breaking sod.
Mike

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 6:11PM
loger_gw

Hello Up There And Close The Door! I need the Rest and Rehab but there is a no end list of needs vs wants that Work Me Daily. I have been cutting back and clearing out since my 03 retirement and there is no end to the projects I Saved. The big move was Computers with their faster changing technology. Small Combustion Engines, Metalworking and Woodworking Projects are my latest Clearings vs personal needed extras. I had no idea how much I had stocked due to what I could do then vs now.

I'm still having fun dealing with the Old and New Technology but not The Old and New Pains and Strains.

Take Care!

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 8:31PM
chas045(7b)

I have a second Predator because my first one had idle issues and I exchanged it under a paid one yr warranty. The second is running well on a horse tiller except that I didn't make extra efforts to redesign a longer throttle cable. Unfortunately, I only have used it three times so it hasn't gotten a real workout.

You should probably Google one of the racing go cart sites. They often use these engines and re-jet them etc. They run a lot of them and probably have a good estimate of their reliability.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 8:52PM
txtom50(8a texas)

There's a lengthy post from 2012 on the Predator engine that you might want to review if you haven't already looked at it. Also, seems like I tried to do some research on the Powerhorse engines some time back and couldn't find very much info on them. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Predator engine???

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 6:57AM
exmar

Hi Folks,
Thanx, txtom for the link. Good info.

I think my plan of attack will be to list the Mantis on Craigslist and get some $$ back, then go forward with the Predator. I don't want to end up with 4 running tillers in the barn. Actually, 6 as two are on permanent "loan." :-) Folks keep giving me stuff and I get it running again.

I just looked at the local Craislist and was amazed at the number and condition of tillers being offered. None of them were Mantis though.

I've learned that the Predator goes on sale about once a month for just under $100, so no hurry to capture the current sale price.

Showing my age, but just seems WRONG to buy a "disposable" engine??? However, everything including people are disposable now, so... :-(

Thanks for the responses,

Be well,

Ev

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 3:04PM
txtom50(8a texas)

Gardening season is just around the corner, so it should be a good time to sell your tiller. I noticed several places last week that had onion plants for sale already.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 5:18AM
More Discussions
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™